Set dithering on frames rather than a time basis?

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
timh

Set dithering on frames rather than a time basis?

Post by timh »

Hi Robin,

The dithering option in Sharpcap works well with my HEQ5 mount and PHD2. I lose about 30-40s acquisition time on each dither but this seems unavoidable and nothing to do with Sharpcap since I think it just reflects how long it takes the mount to settle?

I also use the FWHM and brightness filters to select which subframes are stored as raw files and contribute to the live stack - the two together seem to make a very good selection. I like the new set up of these features. The ability to continually monitor FWHM is additionally very useful to monitor and make slight adjustments in focus without pausing capturing.

However one problem with time-based dithering is that it goes ahead _ and loses time - even when the last few frames have not been collected because they failed to pass one or other of the filters. It would perhaps be better if dithering could be set to occur on the basis of number of successful capture frames - say the ability to set to dither each time 3 or 4 frames have been added to the stack?

Anyway apologies for being so demanding of your time recently and very happy to help with beta-testing since I am now using Sharpcap quite a bit.

best wishes
Tim
admin
Site Admin

Re: Set dithering on frames rather than a time basis?

Post by admin »

Hi,

actually making a change like this is not enormously complicated or difficult – the real problem is that the UI for controlling the live stacking has already become rather complicated and things like this add more complication because instead of a checkbox to turn the feature on and off and a number to choose how often it happens to you now need to have a third control to switch between time-based and frame-based. I think that if I were to do anything like this I would have to start to introduce an advanced tab into the life stacking to start hiding away some of the features like this from the first time user.

Note that this is likely to be a feature of the new sequencer tool in SharpCap 3.3, although that will be for normal capturing rather than live stacking.

Cheers, Robin
timh

Post by timh »

thanks Robin. Is there a need for time rather than frame-based control of dithering in Live stacking at all? I don't know how other folk use it. Tim
lkrustev

Post by lkrustev »

This would be great!
dpmenzer

Post by dpmenzer »

I agree, dithering on # of frames vs time seems much more consistent. Similar to how most software looks at where the meridian is and stops taking pictures so it can do the flip, which is basically a frame based operation, rather than flipping in the middle of an exposure.

Dave