Information saved with darks and flats

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
timh

Information saved with darks and flats

Post by timh »

Hi Robin,

Quite a simple request I hope.

I have been on a fairly steep astrophotography/ AS1294PRO learning curve and Sharpcap really helped to get me started - especially with its clear and comprehensive documentation. I think that finally I now have more or less everything working as it should :). Thankyou

However one bit that I did get stuck on for a time - and maybe other users of ZWO PRO cameras have too? - was around making sure that all the key parameters of light, dark and flat frames are properly matched up. Initially I tried using the EEA autostack feature to economically capture sessions in ready-stacked files without at first appreciating that the dark and flat corrections were not matched to the lights.--- and only upon later investigation with raw frames in DSS did I see the problems with the flats under and over-correcting.

It may well be a confusion that particularly arises with beginners who own ZWO OSC cameras - because I think 'offset' is non-intuitively termed and set as image 'brightness' along with R and B white balance. At first I didn't get that these controls were important at all.

When capturing master dark files is there anyway of storing the brightness, WB and WR values into the file description as well as the binning, capture area, colour space, gain, exposure and temperature. Similarly on Flats (although no need for gain, exposure and temperature).

I realize that this could get overly cumbersome - maybe camera specific?- but there might be some value in doing this in order to more clearly flag the list of key parameters and to help with storage and classification in libraries?

best wishes
Tim
admin
Site Admin

Re: Information saved with darks and flats

Post by admin »

Hi Tim,

yes, putting a capture settings file next to the saved flat or dark makes a lot of sense. I'll look into it to see what can be done.

Cheers, Robin