Saved Focuser positions

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
donstim

Saved Focuser positions

Post by donstim »

It would be nice to be able to save (with descriptions) a number of focuser positions that would enable one to get close to a desired focus position without either memorizing a focuser position or repeatedly press the coarse focus position button. For example, you might have different focuser positions with different camera setups, or you might want to use a certain amount of "out-of-focus" for alignment purposes. Although in focus positions will change somewhat, using these remembered focus positions would help get you to the correct focus position sooner and easier.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Saved Focuser positions

Post by admin »

Hi,

Interesting, I guess that sort of feature makes sense if your focuser remembers the position accurately from session to session – I've always had mixed success with that sort of thing, sometimes it works, sometimes it seems to reset.

Cheers, Robin
donstim

Post by donstim »

HI Robin,

It doesn't have to be that accurate for what I was envisioning. The intention would just be to get you near enough focus to start the fine focus process. As an example, sometimes I will start out visually observing with an eyepiece before putting the camera on. Before I got the electronic focuser, I knew it was about 15 turns to get close to focus when switching to the camera. Otherwise, it is so far off that I don't know for sure I even have the object in the FOV. With the electronic focuser, I don't know how many increments are equivalent to 15 turns. So, I could end up changing increments and clicking on it multiple times and then find out my object isn't even in the FOV.

Similar deal when changing cameras or imaging train. It would be nice to have a decent starting position where I know the object should be "near" focus before starting on anything else.

Are you saying a focuser wouldn't remember its position between sessions accurately enough to even do that?

Regards,
Don
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

I've had mixed success – sometimes it remembers perfectly and sometimes it seems to reset the position counter some default or come up with weird values. Maybe it's just me :-)

Cheers, Robin