Pixel statistics that follows cursor

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
Tonisee

Pixel statistics that follows cursor

Post by Tonisee »

Hello!

I have really missed the possibility of measuring the signal level of collected frames. There is a very neat solution for displaying information in the Histogram window. Similar function would be handy if one would like to optimize the exposure time of deep sky objects (or for photometry) - it's pretty general situation when there is a very bright object in the field of view and it is acceptable to saturate it when trying to capture much fainter objects. Now measuring those fainter objects is currently tricky. I guess that such info-window/menu/text at cursor will be rather demanding in video regime - toggling info could be a solution.

Currently when I want to measure signal level of some pixels/stars, I'm opening FITS file with another program (e.g. MaximDL) and using it's Information menu with an aperture. And aperture is here much better solution than just the value of pixel under cursor, because it is very difficult to locate correct pixel on the 20 Mpix sensor shown on FullHD display. :-)

Best wishes,
Tõnis
admin
Site Admin

Re: Pixel statistics that follows cursor

Post by admin »

Hi,

I do have this idea on my list of potential things to include in SharpCap 3.3 – I haven't investigated the practicality of it yet though.

Cheers, Robin
Tonisee

Re: Pixel statistics that follows cursor

Post by Tonisee »

Hello Robin,

it's nice to hear that others are also interested in such functionality. :-) Rationale is really simple - to get maximum signal information on arbitrary target on frame to optimize exposure times no to saturate needed targets.

Best wishes,
Tõnis