Indi or Indigo

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
Croz

Indi or Indigo

Post by Croz »

Please consider adding one of these. I just spent the last two evenings trying to get Kstars and Ekos working. After struggling for several hours over several nights, I went back to Polar aligning with Sharpcap. And your focus routine is great as well.

Being able to use Indi or Indigo on a rpi is a big plus. No need to run USB cables in the house. And USB 3 is now easily possible with a rpi 4. In my area it’s either freezing cold, or mosquito season! Working inside is a must.

Thanks!
Kevin
admin
Site Admin

Re: Indi or Indigo

Post by admin »

Hi,

I believe there are people working on Ascom wrappers that allow you to use Indi hardware as though it was a local Ascom device. For instance I found this project on github which looks to be the source code for something like that - https://github.com/indigo-astronomy/indigo_ascom.

Cheers, Robin
Croz

Post by Croz »

Robin,

I’m not trying to be difficult here. I really like your software and would like to continue to use it. The link you reference hasn’t been developed in over two years. Everything is quite stale. It also seems like it’s the wrong direction for the bridge. I may be wrong but it looks to me like that is INDI hardware connecting to ASCOM.

I would make my case by pointing to other software. Products like PhD2, APT, Carts... Are all supporting either INDI or Indigo. It can’t be extremely difficult to implement if others have? I use all of these products, and they work much better through INDI then through ASCOM. And I can now have remote access through an Rpi.

Thanks
Kevin
oopfan

Post by oopfan »

Kevin,

The way I solve the "remote issue" is by running a CAT5 cable from by office's router through a bedroom window to my SharpCap laptop. Then I launch UltraVNC Server on the laptop, and UltraVNC Viewer on my desktop in my office. I never need to go outside except for the initial PA and to run outside to manually focus. Granted PA happens in the evening hours when mosquitoes are out but at this point it is no less convenient than wearing an N95 mask while keeping social distancing in public. I wear long sleeves, a jacket and a scarf when doing PA.

I do agree that running fewer cables from the scope to the laptop would be great but why not run SharpCap on a mini Windows SBC that can ride onboard your telescope like a RPi can?

Running an RPi seems attractive at $35 but the cost is deceiving. That $35 means that you will be using a microSD card for all of the following: O/S, frame capture, and plate solving. Take it from my personal experience that you will get maybe 10 sessions out of an SD card before it starts to fail, and needs to be replaced. To circumvent this you need a SSD and controller. More money. Solutions I've seen use a USB port, so now you are down to 3 USB ports. Now you need a USB hub. All of these hidden costs that add up. I say, it's better to keep your laptop and focus on cable management issues.

Brian
Croz

Post by Croz »

Some of the points you make are valid. They are workarounds for a remote set up. Not as good as INDI support. I have been running a long USB cable instead of CAT 5.

One of the major reasons why I started looking at the set up, is to get away from ASCOM. I always seem to run in to port conflicts with the different devices I have. INDI Does a much better job at handling these problems. So there are multiple benefits for me to use INDI.

I have seen others ask for this in previous posts. Putting my vote in for this feature.

Thanks
Kevin