Solar Masking

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
donboy

Solar Masking

Post by donboy »

Hi Robin,

A feature that would be nice for us that do Solar Prominence is to black out the Sun and only show the prominences.

The over saturated tool would do just the trick if it stayed on and didn't flash. Would that be something you are willing to add?

Don
Attachments
IMG_3734.jpg
IMG_3734.jpg (52.08 KiB) Viewed 1499 times
IMG_3735.jpg
IMG_3735.jpg (57.69 KiB) Viewed 1499 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: Solar Masking

Post by admin »

Hi Don,

Nice suggestion. The other potential drawback of the overexposed tool is that it only affects the image on screen, not the saved file. Would you be wanting this to go into the saved file or just the screen?

Cheers, Robin
donboy

Post by donboy »

Saved file also, please.

Don
eosman

Post by eosman »

A feature like this could be a game changer in Solar imaging..
Combine this with something like a feature to save dual exposure values to record both surface and prominence details
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi folks,

thanks to a timely prompt from Don, I have just added this feature to SharpCap 4.1.

In order to affect both the image on screen and saved data, it appears as a control in the preprocessing section on the right. Currently it sets any pixel where the brightness exceeds 99% to black. That's fairly simple for monochrome cameras , but there are some subtleties for colour cameras

* RGB modes - if any component colour is above 99% then the whole pixel (all colours) is set to black

* RAW modes - if any pixel is above 99% then the pixel and all its immediate neighbours (left, right, up, down) are set to black. This approximates the behaviour in RGB mode above, and ensures that you get full black in regions where only one channel is saturated.

I'm unsure so far as to whether 99% is the best threshold and whether the pixels should go to 0% brightness above the threshold - I would be happy to hear views on that (preferably not ones that suggest both levels being user adjustable!!! :D )

cheers,

Robin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I should add that this is not yet available in the version of SharpCap 4.1 that is available to download - it *will* be in the next update of SharpCap 4.1 though within the next week or two.

cheers,

Robin
JSolaz

Post by JSolaz »

Hello Don & Robin,

The other day I was thinking in a similar use of the “solar masking” proposal you are discussing.
The use would be to image faint planetary satellites like Phobos and Deimos.
You clearly will understand the needs just looking at my poor images of Mars and its satellites.
It is a 1s exposure with one C14 telescope and a ZWO ASI224MC camera. I just barely got the two satellites.
While I would like to have the black mask over saturated pixels, I would appreciate, if for example, we could do live staking of the non-saturated image. In this way, we could deeply image faint objects like planetary satellites or faint double star companions.
Does my suggestion make sense?
Thank you for considering.
J.Solaz
Mars satellites.jpg
Mars satellites.jpg (65.24 KiB) Viewed 433 times