Post plate solve and sync marker in the RT image

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
rnyboy

Post plate solve and sync marker in the RT image

Post by rnyboy »

I've just started using SharpCap's Plate solve and sync feature with my Nexstar 6SE and because of the mounts less than stellar spur gears and backlash, even though backlash is pretty well adjusted, compared to a higher quality GEM the targeted object isn't all that often well centered in an approximately 1 degree FOV and may not even be within the FOV while doing real-time imaging before live stacking or other S/N enhancing image capture.

It would be a tremendous help to have as an option for those of us with the poorer quality goto mounts out there for SharpCap to redo a plate solve immediately after the sync and place a visible marker, like a contrasting colored "X", to indicate where the object of interest is located in the imagers FOV. If not in the FOV of the imager then redo a plate solve and sync and then another check plate-solve and mark the location of the object. Also, obviously I suppose, have a simple way to remove the "X" once you have manually centered an object.

In my case, with a circa 1 degree FOV, I suspect after the first plate solve/sync the object will be in the FOV about 50% to 66% of the time and within the FOV closer to 90% after two plate solve/syncs. If necessary I could simply restart a plate solve/sync-plate solve/mark sequence if not in the FOV after the initial two attempts.

The most important part is to have something indicating where the object actually is in the current FOV. This way faint objects can be manually centered in order to have 100% confidence the object is actually present and centered when doing any further image capturing or liveStacking.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Post plate solve and sync marker in the RT image

Post by admin »

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion, there is another thread on here where people are suggesting the ability to be able to click in the image and then centre that point – both suggestions require the ability to map between pixels in the image and celestial coordinates based on the plate solving results, so I may consider them together for a future version of SharpCap.

Cheers, Robin