ADC tool

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
chongo228

ADC tool

Post by chongo228 »

About to shoot planets again for the first time in a while and I got me wondering if you could ad an ADC tool like Firecapture has? That tool is the only reason Firecapture is on my computer still and I have to disconnect from SC every time I have to use the tool.

On a side note- could I use the histogram to set the ADC? Would the different colors move to the right as dial in the ADC? Is the histogram accurate enough to pick up on the small correction of a ADC?
admin
Site Admin

Re: ADC tool

Post by admin »

Hi,

I don't think that the histogram would provide much useful information for aligning an atmospheric dispersion corrector. I would have thought the most basic possible solution to this would be to show the offset between the centre of the planet for the red and blue channels – I would presume that when you have the ADC set up correctly you would have minimised that offset.

Oddly, SharpCap does have the tool in the 'FX' drop-down which allows you to digitally adjust the offset of the red and blue layers in the viewed image – effectively acting like a digital ADC. This only applies if I remember correctly to the viewed image, not to saved frames

Cheers, Robin
chongo228

Post by chongo228 »

I assume you're talking about the RGB align tool. I never thought about using that to set an ADC. I guess I would adjust the ADC and compare it to the amount of correction needed in the RGB align tool to know if my ADC was dialed in.

To clarify I was hoping for a tool to set a physical ADC, not a digital one. I'll try the RGB align tool and see if I can use it to set a physical ADC.

Thanks
dswtan

Post by dswtan »

+1 chongo228. I have the same setup - SharpCap is my favorite imaging tool, but I have to retain Firecapture just for its (admittedly awesome) ADC tool. Wish it could all be done in SharpCap!
jcalazard

Post by jcalazard »

Concernant l'utilisation d'un ADC en planétaire ,une fonction identique a celle de Firecapture permetrai de régler optiquement l'image et donc la qualite du résulat serai amélioré? Bientôt l'outil ADC sur Sharpcap ??
Concerning the use of an ADC in planetary, a function identical to that of Firecapture will allow to adjust optically the image and therefore the quality of the result will be improved? Soon the ADC tool on Sharpcap ??
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

How about something like this?

I have this working in on test images I found online with dispersion showing - haven't had a chance to test it on live video yet.

Suggestions/Comments welcone.

Robin
96787906_562692021288777_8660816108028166144_n.png
96787906_562692021288777_8660816108028166144_n.png (698.1 KiB) Viewed 4231 times
chongo228

Post by chongo228 »

I think that will do nicely......Thanks for adding it! This will take out some of the subjective guess work.

I think ADC used to not be very common until ZWO released the first one (that I know of) that is mass produced and priced reasonably. It seems like using an ADC is becoming the norm for shooting planets.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

Is there anything that would need beyond the offset between the three different colour channels? I've never used an ADC personally before, although I have one on the way here for testing so that I can check that the new code really does behave the way it should.

Cheers, Robin
AndyBooth

Post by AndyBooth »

Robin,
This will a great addition without doubt.
Like others, I only use Firecapture now because of ADC tool.

As long as the display is truly dynamic, registering the new situation of the RGB offset as the ADC is physically tuned,
Then thats all thats required really.

So your Mock up looks good!

For northern latitudes, an ADC is an absolute MUST for this years mars opposition in particular,
But having used one, I will now never observe planets or moon less the 40 degrees elevation without one!
Its that dramatic an improvement, even for visual.

Thanks for a great addition, And thanks to the OP for suggesting it!

Andy.
chongo228

Post by chongo228 »

Only other thing I can think of that might be useful is an average of the last 5 or 10 frames like some of your focusing tools have. When the target is low the amount of correction displayed in FC can jump a decent amount from frame to frame....an average graph might help smooth it out.