Request for development

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
muletopia

Request for development

Post by muletopia »

Is it possible/planned to make Sharpcap available for Linux?
I would like to use a Raspberry pi4 for all control in my ob.
Phd 2 is available for Linux and Dan Grey at Sidereal technology is working on a Linux version of Sitechexe.

With a Linux Sharpcap I would use Kstars Ecos and have a complete observatory Linux system.
For processing I use Siril for applying darks,its magic all star registration and stacking modules.
So gently gently I could remove windows from my astronomical world.

To live in hope
Chris
admin
Site Admin

Re: Request for development

Post by admin »

Hi,

I'm afraid there's no real chance of a Linux version in the future – the amount of work required to rewrite the UI and other aspects of the program to cope with Linux is far more than I have time for.

Cheers, Robin
muletopia

Post by muletopia »

Hello Robin,
Understood, but sad from my perspective.
I develop code (C++) in Linux which also runs in Window but a fair degree of care is needed to have the same code compile in both operating systems.
Cheers
Chris
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

Yes, I've done cross-platform stuff at various times too and it definitely adds to the complexity of the work. Perhaps if I'd of picked a cross-platform approach from the start it would have been plausible. The problem is that all the cross-platform UI frameworks I've ever encountered are much less productive (from a developer point of view) than the Microsoft only Windows forms and WPF. Sadly even the recent release of the cross-platform version of .net core 3.0 will not bring us Linux versions of either of those UI frameworks :-(

You may want to look into a program called oacapture which is an open source capturing program for Linux and even MacOS (for those who can stomach MacOS).

Cheers, Robin