Stack Images in Post

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
HappySkies

Stack Images in Post

Post by HappySkies »

SharpCap can already stack images live by auto star matching and aligning frames. Plus it can calibrate flats and darks while LiveStacking. I'd like to see these features in a post-processing mode.

In this mode, you would stack deep-sky images and calibrate in post. You would select individual Light frames, Flats and Darks, and then have SharpCap stack them.

This would allow you to cherry-pick your images and possibly add other modes of stacking like "Median Combine". I think this feature would bring new people to SharpCap since a lot of people are looking for a low-cost stacking option other than DeepSkyStacker.

It seems to me most of the hard math is done since SharpCap already does this live while controlling a camera. So is there any chance this is a feature that could be added in the future?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Stack Images in Post

Post by admin »

Hi,

I have no plans to add a dedicated processing mode to SharpCap (in fact to be clear, I have decided that I really don't want to do this). However the addition of the folder monitor camera in version 3.2 allows you to achieve this to some degree by setting up live stacking and allowing it to run through a series of images already contained in a folder.

Note that the algorithms that SharpCap uses for it stacking have been tweaked to allow them to work in a situation where the frames arrive one at a time rather than them all being present to be looked at when stacking starts. This means for instance that SharpCap will never have a median stacking mode, because it's impossible to calculate the median of an arbitrary number of frames without scanning the data from all frames so far. Dedicated stacking programs which can look at any frame they like at any point in their stacking procedure may achieve better results by taking advantage of this.

Cheers, Robin
HappySkies

Re: Stack Images in Post

Post by HappySkies »

Hi Robin,

I appreciate your detailed response! I understand you wanting to keep SharpCap's purpose clear and focused. I'll look into the folder monitoring feature some more.

All the best,
HappySkies