DSLR functionality

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
DavidStevenson

Re: DSLR functionality

Post by DavidStevenson »

+1 for DSLR (Canon) support

My interest is for the polar alignment function and having the PA done through the OTA would make things a lot easier than off the Guidescope. I have read your sticky post about how the Guidescope and OTA don't need to be perfectly aligned but my head wouldn't hurt as much having to think about it (yes I understand moving the RA would give you a point in the sky that it spins around but if my Guidescope is not aligned doesn't the image that my Guidescope presents to SharpCap describe an arc? Is it the case that the centre of the arc and the RA centre is the same? I haven't the mental gymnastics to work that out in my head)

In terms of other functionality I would use
A) High speed lunar/planetary/solar imaging using Live View

As it gives another option on setup for a particular object.
David
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes, the fact that the guide scope doesn't need to be carefully aligned is tricky to get your head around, but it's true (honest!). One way to convince yourself is to sit on a swivel chair under a light. Look up a bit (but not straight up) and spin. You'll see that the light appears to stay in the same place in your field of view even though you aren't looking straight at it. Same applies for the guide scope.

cheers,

Robin
eekeek77

Post by eekeek77 »

Happy Christmas and Happy New Year!

+1 for Canon DSLR. I'd also happily beta test if you're interested in the feedback of a thoughtful beginner. Canon 500d.

My POV is I would rather learn one package and workflow for all my photography rather than Astro toaster/DSS for some targets and Sharpcap/Registax for others. But you should only support what DSLRs are best at and not bend too far to accommodate them.

Many, many thanks for all your work.
astronewbie

Post by astronewbie »

I'll sign up for testing and feedback with a Canon 700d..
Thanks!
Oshimitsu

Post by Oshimitsu »

+1 for DSLR support. I can test a 700D and an 800D
JimsShed

Post by JimsShed »

I have a Sony a6000, and I'd be reasonably happy if I was able to acquire the raw files using other software such as Sony's intervalometer and drop them into a monitored SharpCap folder, at which point SharpCap could them add them to the stack as they came in. AstroToaster does this, but I want to use SharpCap for all my EAA activities.

Jim
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Interesting idea - I hadn't imagined anything like that before - thanks for the suggestion!

Robin
mAnKiNd

Post by mAnKiNd »

+1 for a monitored folder...was thinking of this a while ago as a way to rerun a stack.
JimsShed

Post by JimsShed »

Hi Robin,
Regarding the file monitoring idea, I'm a programmer by day and have written my own FileMover forms app (C#) to monitor a folder on a ComputeStick on the mount and move it's files to a folder on the laptop. Concept is basic but there were some gotchas. I'm monitoring using the FileSystemWatcher class, acting on the OnFileCreated event, and handling things such as files held open by the process creating the file, checking permissions etc. Very lean on system resources. If you like I can send you the code for the app to give you a head start and pick out the bits you need, if you ever decide to add folder monitoring as a feature.

Jim
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ha, yes, FileSystemWatchers are one of those things that almost (but not quite) does exactly the thing that you need it to :) Been there before!

cheers,

Robin