DSLR functionality

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
desper0

Re: DSLR functionality

Post by desper0 »

Having SharpCap monitor a particular folder for images would be a great solution for being able to use a DSLR. There are a number of tools to download images captured with my Nikon d5300 to a particular folder. If SharpCap can use this folder for integration/Polar alignment, I would be SOO hapy :lol:
robrj

Post by robrj »

I think the monitored folder option would be a good idea as well. It would allow the DSLRs to use it but also one could also use it to learn about Sharpcap without having to learn how to use it at the scope. It might make it easier to make demonstration videos for the basic features. I would make it a "Camera" selection to grab from a monitored folder.
AussieHowie

Post by AussieHowie »

Been watching and waiting on DSLR addition to SharpCap. It's a great idea to have a monitored folder idea ala Astrotoaster to bring in images for SC to stack etc. But Robin, I think you need to figure out how to get the live video in as well. And for your own monetary benefit as I am not particularly thinking about astronomy work but thinking professional photographers low light video production. The current king of relatively low priced low light video in the A7S but like all the 'pro' low light camera's it does it all in camera. If you can persist in getting video to SC and having some adjustments and especially a denoise feature / fast stack feature available to that video window it could become a fav tool for pro shooters adding to your income stream in a major way.
Oshimitsu

Post by Oshimitsu »

My main reason for wanting DSLR functionality is for plate solving. I don't care for the way BYEOS and astro taco work together ( I know its astrotortilla ).
devonshire

Post by devonshire »

Robin,

I'm using Sharpcap for PA and Backyard Nikon for my D5300. Yesterday, I (finally) got Astrotortilla (v8) integrated with BYN. Worked like a champ for plate solving and centering my mount last night. The config to do that was easy, and Astro* just asks for a picture and solves after it's delivered (down in an appdata folder).

The light went on that if you are going down the monitored folder road, it looks like some useful pieces are already there and in service, at least as far as BYN/BYE and Astro* are concerned - that appears to be exactly what they're doing. I checked the otelescope website for doc, and there is API doc published.

Hope this helps...

- Bob