DSLR functionality

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
yodanator

Re: DSLR functionality

Post by yodanator »

I would like to add my name of those who would like to see a Canon DSLR connection. I usually use an alt-az mount Dob or Celestron Nexstar. If you need a beta tester, just send a note.

Jerry
rvsixer

Post by rvsixer »

I am new to video astronomy of any sort, and was headed down the dedicated astronomy sensor and SharpCap path.

That is until I found out I could use my wife's Canon DSLR, at least to test the waters if I liked this new hobby and investing in more equipment. So I moved on to AstroToaster and EOS Utility (with which I had my first successful capture ever of M101 this weekend).

So yes I would absolutely welcome both planetary LiveView and stacking DSO capabilities with DSLR support in SharpCap (still too new to hobby to pick a favorite yet though)! Imagine using both the DSLR and astronomy sensor, without having to switch programs and workflow....nice.

Thanks to the OP and admin for considering this feature.
Rickster

Post by Rickster »

I have heard very good things about Sharpcap over on Cloudy Nights. I also heard that you are considering making it functional with Canon DSLRs. That sounds great to me. I currently use EOS/AT/DSS with a Canon T4i. It works well except for two factors. It has no histogram and it is a computer hog. From what I have heard, Sharpcap solves those two issues. So I would be very interested in using Sharpcap with my Canon DSLR. I am most interested in stacking deep space images, but would also like to be able to use live view for stacked moon images.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I think my current goal is to get basic support for live view into the next major version of SharpCap (3.1) - it's easier than still captures, so my theory is to get started with that. Once that is in then still captures for live stacking will follow in a later version.

cheers,

Robin
cuivenion

Post by cuivenion »

Sounds good!
rvsixer

Post by rvsixer »

Much appreciated !
Gvs_H

Post by Gvs_H »

Kudos on great work Robin!

If you need any support on this effort, would be glad to contribute.

You may consider supporting both Canon first and Nikon there after.

Canon would be great for planetary and deep sky.

Nikon (specially the D5500) can do great work for deep sky, planetary tend to be a bit more difficult.
cuivenion

Post by cuivenion »

By the way Robin if you need me to beta test builds with my camera I'll be up for it.
Astrogate

Post by Astrogate »

Hi Robin

First post here an wanted to thank you for putting together a fantastic software program esp. for us all in near real-time observing USB CCD/CMOS cameras. I have a modded Canon 40D that I hardly use now because when using Canon EOS or Backyard EOS for capture and Astrotoaster for live processing it becomes too much work and the fun is gone after getting spoiled with my Atik Infinity camera & it's single software. Where there is a large void for us near real-time observers who broadcast on NSN.com live when it comes down to simplicity with our DSLR's and it would be awesome to have to use only one piece of software like Sharpcap to do everything for both DSO's & Planetary. My vote though would first go for DSO's! Thank you!

Chris A
Astrogate
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for the feedback Chris - I think I have to do the liveview first as there is going to be a lot of work required in SharpCap itself to cope with the Canon cameras in still capture mode (as well as the talking to the camera work that needs to happen).

Out of interest, do you use the Atik camera with SharpCap? I see the occasional crash report from SharpCap not being happy talking to an Atik ASCOM driver. As I don't have any Atik cameras to test with I'm in the dark about what (if anything) is going wrong.

cheers,

Robin