Drift correction

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
cshine

Drift correction

Post by cshine »

Would it be feasible to have SC occasionally pause live stacking, nudge the mount to counteract a gradual drift and then resume stacking again? It would be like having very basic guiding to counteract those black bars that start to creep in as the mount drifts off target over the course of a capture.

Drift is already measured so the trick would be to figure out how to reverse that with an occasional mount nudge. Maybe some kind of plate solving trickery would be help here also. Perhaps this is the kind of thing I could even script?? Do a platesolve, wait 10 seconds for the mount to settle, stack for 5mins, pause the stack, repeat plate solve, resume stacking. Just thinking out loud.

Thanks!
admin
Site Admin

Re: Drift correction

Post by admin »

Hi there,

It's certainly something I've considered but it does seem simpler just to run PhD2 at the same time to do guiding if you want this sort of functionality. The tricky bit about doing this is not doing the actual offsets intermittently during stacking, it's actually working out which direction to move the amount to get the image to move in a particular direction (basically like the calibration procedure in PhD)

Cheers, Robin
cshine

Post by cshine »

Hi Robin, thanks, that does make sense, it's just that most of us EAA folks don't really want to mess with guiding as accurate tracking is not really something we need. An auto-nudging feature would be handy but I totally understand, the orientation/movement direction is non-trivial.
Cheers
Astrogate

Post by Astrogate »

I agree with Robin and guiding will make a big difference, however, accurate tracking IS something that you need even for EAA.

Chris A
Astrogate