Collimation Aid for SCTs

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
wcblack7

Collimation Aid for SCTs

Post by wcblack7 »

I was wondering if you could expand the experimental collimation tool for Newtonians to include something for SCTs (or maybe add a different tool).
Showing an average diffraction pattern and measuring the FWHM of a single star at prime focus works great for this.
I suppose you could just stack frames and get an idea, but a tool that would help by showing you which screw to adjust would be cool.
I'm not sure if you are familiar with MetaGuide, but it does something like this and its great to have with a catadioptric telescope where the mirror may shift slightly when you move from target to target.

Thanks!
Bill
umasscrew39

Re: Collimation Aid for SCTs

Post by umasscrew39 »

Hi Robin

Following up on this suggestion, it would be great to have an approach like that used with GoldFocus. This program is sold to be used with any capture program to determine SCT collimation error and how to correct it. I have used GoldFocus in the past with Starlight Live and it worked very well. I tried it several times with SC but GoldFocus kept freezing up. Not sure why but there must be some incompatibility issue. If there is a way to correct this or develop a similar approach to be used within SC, it would be a tremendous way to easily and accurately determine SCT collimation error and how much correction is needed.

Bruce
saguaro

Post by saguaro »

I’ve used GoldFocus with SharpCap for my SCT collimation and don’t have any issues.
umasscrew39

Post by umasscrew39 »

I will try it again - maybe my computer was acting wacky. However, my main point is that I think it could be fully integrated within SC. That would be a big plus much like how autofocus tools are integrated.