Version for linux

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
ch_porchet

Version for linux

Post by ch_porchet »

Hello,
do you ever think to make a version for linux.
Because I find that at the moment the program Kstars is developing at an incredible speed.
And I think that it will be a good thing that we can use SharpCap
in parallel with kstars or in all compatible with linux and Indi drivers.
thank you
admin
Site Admin

Re: Version for linux

Post by admin »

Hi,

sorry, the answer here is never :( It would require a rewrite of all the UI and all the camera communication code, so it's not going to happen!

cheers,

Robin
ch_porchet

Post by ch_porchet »

hello thanks for your answer.
It's a shame, because I think maybe that will be a good idea.
Because it seems to me that the world of linux is beginning to develop well in the world of astrophotography.

But thank you for your quick response

Best regards
Christophe
sharpcapt

Post by sharpcapt »

Hi Robin
Yes, I know this thread is old, but the guy that asked is right - 'thousands' of people are moving on to various version of Linux - Ubuntu is most common, mainly is people going to Indi but ...

I totally understand it, you cannot spend many hours on that.

I am too migrating to Ubuntu - having played with it many years ago with Ubuntu 12 - old laptop is super fast with Ubuntu 12.

I now have a dual boot Ubuntu 20.04 and WIN10 Pro on large screen PC - I am tired of Windows - after 40 years of problems and I keep Windows running well.
I can only imagine non-technical users going extremely mad at it [I am a technician in Electronics and IT - getting older!].

I am only using this thread to see if anybody managed to install it on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS.

I tried various methods last week = problems are always with .NET etc. with Windows programs.
I did manage to install ... I think ! ... .NET require .. I believe it is 4.6.2 ?

Anyone managed? Please supply a link so I can try again.

I am slowly moving all Astronomy programs first and SharpCap Pro [paid version] is one of my favourite - I cannot ... NOT use it.

In the meantime I will have to try OAcapture or similar.

Thanks
M
sharpcapt

Post by sharpcapt »

... although, I am now wondering if anyone is capable to setup a Linux package to manage SharpCap dependencies [i.e. .NET etc.] separately while running it in WINE.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

the problem with WINE is that although you might succeed in getting SharpCap to run if you are lucky, what will not run is the drivers that make the cameras available to SharpCap. That means that at best you would get a SharpCap without any ability to talk to real cameras, which is not really so useful :(

For the .NET framework, you may as well install the 4.8 version - that will do instead of 4.6.2 and will also set you up for SharpCap 4.0 which will be available soon.

Download link : https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/d ... -installer

cheers,

Robin
Butterbelly

Post by Butterbelly »

Just a thought and I realise this is not quite what was asked but -
doesn't ASCOM ALPACCA make this possible - as I understand it you should be able to run Sharpcap on a windows machine and link it to
a camera running on a say Raspberry pi (I have a Stellarmate device) - I haven't tried this personally but my experience with Alpacca for remote access between windows machines has been positive.

just my 2 pennies worth
Keith Butterworth
sharpcapt

Post by sharpcapt »

I am not using any wireless or raspberry Pi - although I have one [but too old!].

I have my gear about 3m from 'inside' where I am and I managed to use USB3 and 2 cables to run cameras etc. well on Windows.

I can do the same on Linux soon, but I will miss SharpCap a lot - Robin has done an excellent work.
SharpCap is helping me getting better at it, although with little spare time I have.

We will see.

I just hate to have to leave SharpCap ...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

VirtualBox might be an option - run a small Windows virtual machine inside your Linux PC, just for SharpCap.

https://www.virtualbox.org/

You can definitely connect USB devices to the virtualbox Windows instance - I have done this for various testing scenarios.

cheers,

Robin
ab1jx

Post by ab1jx »

Very disappointing, I've only run Liinux for 10 years now. But there are a couple of options. Use a focus stacking program from general digital photography. The other is not to stack using images but considering that the stars move at a fixed rate so use that to place the images. Figure out how far to move and don't try to look at whether or not things line up. This might have an advantage for really dim stars and objects.