BAYERPAT

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
Ray Hansen

BAYERPAT

Post by Ray Hansen »

Is it possible to have a user option to set the BAYERPAT and COLORTYP for the fits header? I'm having to batch
process these changes now on all of my subs before calibration.
admin
Site Admin

Re: BAYERPAT

Post by admin »

Hi Ray,

what camera and capture settings are you using? SharpCap does write both colourtyp and bayerpat to the Fits headers - ie

Code: Select all

Image #1
    SIMPLE  =                    T / C# FITS: 09/07/2018 22:33:44
    BITPIX  =                   16
    NAXIS   =                    2 / Dimensionality
    NAXIS1  =                  320
    NAXIS2  =                  240
    GAIN    =                  100 /
    DATE-OBS= '2018-09-07T21:33:44.1550377' / System Clock:Frame Received
    SWCREATE= 'SharpCap'           / 3.2.5735.0
    BAYOFFY =                    1 /
    BAYOFFX =                    0 /
    BAYERPAT= 'GBRG    '           / NOTE: Use RGGB on some software (eg PixInsight)
    COLORTYP= 'GBRG    '           / NOTE: Use RGGB on some software (eg PixInsight)
    YPIXSZ  =     2.40000009536743 /
    BLKLEVEL=                    1 /
    XPIXSZ  =     2.40000009536743 /
    EXPTIME =               0.0003 /
    BSCALE  =                    1 /
    BZERO   =                32768 /
    EXTEND  =                    T / Extensions are permitted
    CCD-TEMP=                 27.2 /
    INSTRUME= 'ALTAIRH183C'        /
Unfortunately processing software does not agree on what the 'correct' settings are for a particular pattern. The file with the headers shown above would require GBRG to process correctly in AstroArt but RGGB for PixInsight.

To be honest I have yet to find any software that automatically takes notice of either of those settings (or the BAYOFFX BAYOFFY headers). If you have found software that reads and applies those headers then please let me know what software and what settings/workflow you are using.

thanks,

Robin
Ray Hansen

Post by Ray Hansen »

Hi Robin,

The camera is a ZWO ASI094 set for RAW16 output as fits files. I calibrate and stack with Deep Sky Stacker and finish
with both photoshop and pixinsight. I run batch conversion programs to change the colortyp and bayerpat values
before running in DSS. If I skip the conversion, I get purple or green stars in PS and PI. If this request would be
difficult or create problems, I can continue with the batch process with little impact.
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Ray

See viewtopic.php?f=35&t=254
  • Drag and drop a FITS image into PIPP.
  • See what PIPP says for Debayer pattern.
  • Set that pattern in DSS
  • Debayer and stack in one step.
OR
  • Post a picture of the Image Headers tab from FITS Liberator and I can tell you the pattern to set in DSS
image-headers.PNG
image-headers.PNG (22.15 KiB) Viewed 3761 times
Dave
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ah, ok, sounds like maybe DSS is reading the header values then - I will investigate

cheers,

Robin
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Robin

I have found Autostakkert & PIPP autodetect and debayer correctly a FITS frame using the pattern you show in the FITS header. When using Siril, I have to use your alternate pattern in your NOTE in the FITS header. DSS doesn't seem to autodetect - so a 25% chance of success. Don't know about PixInsight but at a guess same as Siril.

The original request
Is it possible to have a user option to set the BAYERPAT and COLORTYP for the fits header
is not logical (if I understand it correctly) because BAYERPAT is what it is at time of writing the FITS frame not what someone wants it to be.

Since I wrote my original Debayer document, my understanding of this has increased somewhat. I think a new version is called for after I have finished that other small documentation job I have just started for you ;)

One day I might write a book entitled "Things You Really Need to Know to Image Successfully".

Dave
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi folks,

right, just found some time to look at this - I have a FITS file saved from an Altair camera (RGGB pattern as standard). The FITS header saved from SharpCap is (inverted because of the upside down nature of the FITS file formt)

Code: Select all

BAYERPAT= 'GBRG    '           / NOTE: Use RGGB on some software (eg PixInsight)
* AstroArt, PIPP, Autostakkert expect bayer pattern GBRG to show colour correctly
* DSS and PixInsight expect pattern RGGB to show colour correctly

None of the above apps automatically works out the pattern based on the FITS headers - in all cases there is a manual control somewhere in the program that needs to be set correctly to get the correct colour output, but the headers themselves have no effect except to give you (the user) information.

cheers,

Robin
Ray Hansen

Post by Ray Hansen »

Thanks Robin, I've got it now.