M101

A place to share images that you have taken with SharpCap.
Forum rules
Please upload large images to photo sharing sites (flickr, etc) rather than trying to upload them as forum attachments.

Please share the equipment used and if possible camera settings to help others.
twentymeters

M101

Post by twentymeters »

Here's one of my first attempts from the C8 with no filters in my new backyard, Erie, Colorado. Sky roughly 5.5 on the Bortle scale.

Camera: ZWO ASI294MC
Tele: C8
Mount: Celestron AVX
Exposure: 35 exposures at 30s with darks and flats

this is only a stretched screen grab from Live Stack

cheers,
-Ian
Attachments
M101_smallest.jpg
M101_smallest.jpg (593.04 KiB) Viewed 2237 times
ippiu

Re: M101

Post by ippiu »

Stunning.

How hard did you stretch the histogram? Do you have a screen grab of the sharpcap screen?
With your settings i can't see almost anything on the screen.
Your capture is almost irrealistic and impossibile for me: maybe i am not able to do a correct strectching histogram settings...
IOptron Cem40 + Apo 115 f7 + Asi533 Pro + Asiair Pro + Optolong L-eNhance + L-Pro 2"
twentymeters

Post by twentymeters »

I apologize, my initial description lacked some detail. In Live Stack mode I waited for about 35 images to align and stack, adjusted the sliders to taste then did a "save as viewed" to PNG. I stretched that image a fair amount more in Photoshop with the Curves function and did a little color correction to get the final result.

Unfortunately I don't have a screen grab of the SharpCap session, but some of the camera settings for the ASI294MC Pro are:

Gain: 130
Brightness: 0
Temp: -15c
oopfan

Post by oopfan »

Very nice, Ian! Did you use a focal reducer? If not then that speaks highly of the 294's FOV.

I tried M101 a few months ago. SC recommended a 9.4s exposure which unfortunately resulted in pronounced raining noise due to my guiding constraints. Through experimentation I discovered that I can mitigate raining noise by using longer exposures. I'll give M101 another try next winter. (My view west of the meridian is obstructed.)

Brian
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

Very nice Ian.

Bill