Visualization of moon distance variation and libration

A place to share images that you have taken with SharpCap.
Forum rules
Please upload large images to photo sharing sites (flickr, etc) rather than trying to upload them as forum attachments.

Please share the equipment used and if possible camera settings to help others.
Menno555

Visualization of moon distance variation and libration

Post by Menno555 »

Had some fun with 2 captures I made of a 93% waning moon on 31 January 2021 and on 22 November 2021.

The full 5000px version of 22 November can be found here: https://i.ibb.co/LvDPyrh/maan-22nov-93.jpg

The captures were made with the same equipment (Meade LX200 8" f/10 ACF with Zwo ASI071MC Pro) at the same location, so I could compare everything very well.
I did use the Virtual Moon Atlas for the data and checking of orientation and size.
I made an animated GIF of the libration. I can explain that all here but this is way better and clearer: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libration
To show it clearly I made the 2 captures the same size cause as you can see in the image below, the moon was bigger/closer on 22 November then that it was on 31 January.

And here the 2 captures besides each other for comparison of size at different distances.
maan-grootte-verschilsm.jpg
maan-grootte-verschilsm.jpg (425.83 KiB) Viewed 892 times
timh

Re: Visualization of moon distance variation and libration

Post by timh »

That worked very nicely Menno! Two moon images very close in phase and I liked the libration gif. My mental picture of an 8% size difference was that it was really 'not much' and so had thought of 'supermoons' as a bit of a hype in terms of interest but put side by side in the way that you have it is actually quite visually striking.

What were the conditions for the captures?

Tim
Menno555

Post by Menno555 »

Thanks Tim!

The size of the moon due to distance indeed is no hype :) It's even an influence on how well moon captures can be done, depending on telescope and camera. A bit like Hubble which has difficulties with taking pictures of solar objects because they're too close. I did read something about it but can't find it anymore.
The conditions of 31 January I don't recall. The 22 November shot though was done with very good seeing. I used the Zwo ASI071MC Pro (too lazy to switch cameras :P ) with full resolution and could only use 10fps because of that. Did take 2 x 2000 frames (it's a 2 part mosaic cause it just doesn't fit in 1 FOV). Plus the Optolong L-eXtreme filter, so it's shot in Ha.

Menno
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Menno,

that's really excellent and as Tim says is also very informative. I do like this sort of thing :)

Just wondering if you can make the GIF preview in the forums - try

Code: Select all

[img]URL[/img]

cheers,

Robin
Menno555

Post by Menno555 »

Thanks Robin!
Somehow I always like to look what I can do with captures other then the capture alone.
And thanks for the tip on the animated GIF. I did change that in the original posting so you can remove it in your reaction if you want :)

Menno