NGC 6888, the Crescent Nebula

A place to share images that you have taken with SharpCap.
Forum rules
Please upload large images to photo sharing sites (flickr, etc) rather than trying to upload them as forum attachments.

Please share the equipment used and if possible camera settings to help others.
Menno555

Post by Menno555 »

This one was fun to process. I didn't do that much capturing and processing yet with the Optolong L-eXtreme filter, so it's all experimenting :)
It's just under 3 hours of data and really it needs more. But the weather here is SO bad, that I find this okay for now.

NGC 6888 is at around 5000 lightyears from Earth and is a emission nebula in Cygnus. It's caused by a Wolf-Rayet star which became a red giant around 320.000 years ago. Before that, it emitted stellar wind at a normal rate and speed. But when it became a red giant, the emitted stellar wind had a much higher speed and it overtook the stellar winds emitted earlier.
This is colliding with it and energizing it, forming the shell and 2 shockwaves: 1 outbound and 1 inbound. The inbound shockwave is creating so much energy and temperatures, that it is emitting X-rays.
And thus ends the lesson :p

Bortle 6/7
Meade LX200 8" f/10 ACF OTA
Ioptron CEM25EC montering (no guiding)
Optec Lepus 0.62X Standard reducer (0,73x effectively)
Optolong L-eXtreme filter
Zwo ASI071MC Pro camera

Captured with SharpCap Pro @ -10 Celsius / White balance R50 B50
17 x 600 sec / Gain 90 / Offset 20
30 x darks, 50x flats en 50x darkflats

Stacked with DeepSkyStacker
Processed with Siril and Photoshop
Siril: Crop, Horizontal Banding Reduction en Histogram
Photoshop: Levels, Camera Raw Filter (blacks, color saturation, clarity, sharpening, hue's), star reduction, Neat Image Noise Reduction, format to 1500px

NGC6888sc.jpg
NGC6888sc.jpg (903.64 KiB) Viewed 959 times
timh

Re: NGC 6888, the Crescent Nebula

Post by timh »

Hi Menno, Quite dramatic-looking in that slightly more orange interpretation. My effort below looks rather greener and is more artificial since I boosted the O3/ HA ratio threefold in order to see more of it. How are you finding working with the reducer at F 7.0? Presumably - it is providing brighter images more quickly - is that how it seems?
Tim
Menno555

Post by Menno555 »

Thanks Tim!
Yah, somehow this orange teint suited it best. Normally I am true to colors but this indeed looked kinda dramatic :) If I look at other captures, I see it from deep red till light pink.
Working with the reducer is okay. I don't notice any real dramatic effect when it comes to exposure times. I do have the feeling though that the OIII is more there because of it.
It's an idea to test it sometimes here with the same object: leave every setting the same, just captures with and without reducer.

Menno
Cybermystic

Post by Cybermystic »

Ooomph!!! That IS impressive!! Nice work!!
Greg
Menno555

Post by Menno555 »

Thank you Greg :)

Menno