Lunar UV/IR cut + Wratten #25 filters

A place to share images that you have taken with SharpCap.
Forum rules
Please upload large images to photo sharing sites (flickr, etc) rather than trying to upload them as forum attachments.

Please share the equipment used and if possible camera settings to help others.
turfpit

Lunar UV/IR cut + Wratten #25 filters

Post by turfpit »

65% waxing Moon captured 18th July 2021 at 17°altitude.
Celestron AVX mount, Celestron C8 SCT, JMI motorised focuser, Skyris 618m CCD camera, UV-IR cut /L + Wratten #25 red filters. 2 filters used as captures only 35 minutes after sunset.
Autostakkert!3, Registax 6, GIMP for processing.

Plato-with-2-filters.PNG
Plato-with-2-filters.PNG (353.13 KiB) Viewed 786 times

Clavius-near-terminator.PNG
Clavius-near-terminator.PNG (364.29 KiB) Viewed 785 times

Dave
timh

Re: Lunar UV/IR cut + Wratten #25 filters

Post by timh »

Dave, Astonishingly good. Your best yet?

The top image really captures something about how high some of the lunar peaks and mountains are because the curvature of the moon provides a sense of scale. In the bottom image the resolution of detail must be as good as a mile and a half or so?

Tim
turfpit

Re: Lunar UV/IR cut + Wratten #25 filters

Post by turfpit »

Thanks Tim. I think the mile and a half is about right considering the equipment and comparing with Virtual Moon Atlas. Those are about as good as I will get. Any improvement now will be brought about by better atmospheric conditions/higher elevation. The combination of UV/IR and #25 red allowed reasonable captures during daylight (30m after sunset) although the double filter reduced fps from 120 to 49.

Over a 1 hour session I captured around 60Gb of data. With the moon at 17° and sinking into the west with some haze, those 2 images were the only decent ones from the session - 3Gb useable data out of 60Gb. The effect of the haze only came out in processing. All 2x Barlow images were poor. Higher elevation will arrive in the Autumn.

I am looking forward to some LRGB imaging of Jupiter and Saturn during August. Astronomical Dark will be back with me then at 53°N.

Dave