M51 Whirlpool Galaxy (broad- and narrowband merge)

A place to share images that you have taken with SharpCap.
Forum rules
Please upload large images to photo sharing sites (flickr, etc) rather than trying to upload them as forum attachments.

Please share the equipment used and if possible camera settings to help others.
Menno555

M51 Whirlpool Galaxy (broad- and narrowband merge)

Post by Menno555 »

M51 the Whirlpool Galaxy

A merge of broadband and narrowband data (Ha + OIII), in total a bit more than 8 hours integration time.
Also first light for the Optolong L-eXtreme filter, a duo filter for 7nm Ha and OIII.
The color image is a blend of broad- and narrowband data. Also the capture of the only narrowband.

Bortle 7/8
Meade LX200 8" f/10 ACF OTA
Ioptron CEM25EC montering (no guiding)
Baader Neodymium Skyglow filter
Optolong L-Pro filter
Optolong L-eXtreme filter
Zwo ASI071MC Pro camera

Captured with SharpCap Pro @ -10 Celsius / White balance R50 B50
Baader Neodymium: 30 x 400 sec / Gain 0 / Offset 4
Optolong L-Pro: 11 x 600 sec / Gain 0 / Offset 4
Optolong L-eXtreme: 19 x 600 sec / Gain 100 / Offset 10

Stacked with DeepSkyStacker
Each set apart

Processed with Siril and Photoshop
Siril: Background Extraction and Histogram of each stack
Photoshop: layered the 3 stacks. Then Curves, Levels, Camera Raw Filter (blacks, color saturation, clarity, noise reduction)

M51 broad- and narrowband
M51 broad- and narrowband
M51_sm.jpg (492.91 KiB) Viewed 215 times
M51 narrowband
M51 narrowband
M51-H-sm.jpg (457.57 KiB) Viewed 215 times
timh

Re: M51 Whirlpool Galaxy (broad- and narrowband merge)

Post by timh »

Very nice resolution and colour Menno. M51 is a great object that I always come back to. A picture to mark the end of 'galaxy season'? I also did a fair amount of galaxy 'work' - if you can call it that - 'play' more like - these past months and will also post up a couple of the best so far.

Incidentally - and you may never have tried it? I do find that when I image with no filter in place at all (except for IR/UV cut off) then the HA red regions just appear white - or maybe a faint pinkish white. Dop you see the same? All of the filters (even my UHC filter) make quite a difference in terms of enhancing the red - but your 'extreme' narrow band is certainly living up to its name.

Tim
Menno555

Post by Menno555 »

Thanks Tim.
And as coincidence will have it, I just ordered a 2" IR/UV cut filter with that in mind what you described :)
Till now I backed out of that cause of the Bortle 7/8 but I'm learning more and more with capturing but also with processing. Going to see if any light pollution haze can be "battled" :)

Menno
Menno555

Post by Menno555 »

Like usual i like to do some extra things with captures.
I had so much data of M51 that I decided to focus on the core.
Stacked everything again in DeepSkyStacker but now with 3x drizzle. In Photoshop I cropped the core area and reduced the highlights. This brought forward a lot more of detail. Of course noisy and not "sharp" but I am not disappointed with the end result :)
For comparison also a Hubble capture of the core which I made to the same scale.

M51 core Hubble
M51 core Hubble
kern_m51.jpg (228.18 KiB) Viewed 144 times
M51 core 3x drizzle
M51 core 3x drizzle
kern_m51_hubble.jpg (242.46 KiB) Viewed 144 times
timh

Post by timh »

Very impressive Menno. You must have had sharp focus and and reasonable steady (even if bright at Bortle 7/8) skies because the detail at the core is really very good. I am surprised though that drizzle should have done much - and especially as high as 3X? I thought that it was mainly for use when undersampled and I would guess that you wouldn't be at F 10? Can't argue with the result though!

TimH
Menno555

Post by Menno555 »

Thanks Tim!
I use a Bahtinov mask together with the Bahtinov Grabber software and check focus every hour or so.
And this is what I did read on the drizzle too, so I never tried it. But I tried it now and somehow it worked. I did try also with no-drizzle stack but then when enlarging in Photoshop, to much got lost.
My PC had to work hard though: it produces a 2 Gb FITS file after much crunching and then in SiriL it's also not that fast anymore. But I have enough power in my PC and am not in a hurry :p

Menno