M64 Using ASCOM Dithering

A place to share images that you have taken with SharpCap.
Forum rules
Please upload large images to photo sharing sites (flickr, etc) rather than trying to upload them as forum attachments.

Please share the equipment used and if possible camera settings to help others.
Chris A

M64 Using ASCOM Dithering

Post by Chris A »

Here is an unprocessed live stacked (67 x 30 secs) image taken from my Bortle 8 skies using my RC 10" at native F8, ASI294MC camera, and my IDAS-P2 filter. I did not guide but wanted to try out the new dithering via ASCOM without guiding. I am really pleased with the dithering which greatly reduced random noise. I did not crop out the artifact caused by dithering in order to show how much it dithered over a 33 minute period. Thank you Robin for adding another excellent feature!
Attachments
M64 67 X 30 Secs dithered (2072 x 1410).jpg
M64 67 X 30 Secs dithered (2072 x 1410).jpg (517.37 KiB) Viewed 626 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: M64 Using ASCOM Dithering

Post by admin »

Hi Chris,

that's a great image - very crisp!

Robin
Chris A

Post by Chris A »

Thank you very much, Robin and the dithering helped out a lot!

Cheers,

Chris A
timh

Post by timh »

Hi Chris,

That is a nice image of M64. I tried the same target on probably the same night (using a PDS200 newtonian) and got an image that was OK but not as good. It is a curious galaxy - I'm never sure if I'm missing detail or whether subtle shades are as far as you can go. Would be very interested in any comments that you might have about the light pollution filter you used. Do you have the impression that it helps much on galaxies - the claim is to help with LED street lighting I believe which is of course now ubiquitous?

thanks
Tim