M3 globular cluster first attempt

A place to share images that you have taken with SharpCap.
Forum rules
Please upload large images to photo sharing sites (flickr, etc) rather than trying to upload them as forum attachments.

Please share the equipment used and if possible camera settings to help others.
timh

Re: M3 globular cluster first attempt

Post by timh »

Very nice Menno.

There are choices all the way in processing these objects.

Aesthetically at least I prefer the coppery and purplish hues that you have in the star populations there. I had them more as cyan-blue and yellow-orange. It is often a choice I end up with and am never sure which is nearer to being objectively correct. The colour palette was set by a photometric colour calibration in PixInsight versus a standard galactic core 'white'. However there is more processing after that step in which colours can get mangled again. I do prefer the look of yours and for all I know it may be more nearly correct. You can calibrate what you see against the listed B-V numbers of listed stars as Oopfan suggested above--- but it would help to then have visible colour chart on the screen.

The other interesting choice with framing these objects - again as Oopfan pointed out there is a a star brightness range of at least 10000 fold - is just how much to compress the dynamic range down. I squashed the core right down to fit our screen range --but then of course it ends up really rather unrealistic.

TimH
oopfan

Re: M3 globular cluster first attempt

Post by oopfan »

Fantastic, Menno! Great work.

Brian