A region in ARA - clusters and clouds

A place to share images that you have taken with SharpCap.
Forum rules
Please upload large images to photo sharing sites (flickr, etc) rather than trying to upload them as forum attachments.

Please share the equipment used and if possible camera settings to help others.
si-cho

A region in ARA - clusters and clouds

Post by si-cho »

A longer exposure on a region of ARA,
Scope Vixen ED80Sf and Mount iOptron CEM70.
100 images of 60" each
Guided using ZWO120 and PH2D
Images using ZWO294MC Pro and Sharp Cap
Processing DSS and PxI+GIMP
The only thing I don¿t know still from Sharp Cap is the use of dithering, it will help a lot, but combined with guiding.

timh

Re: A region in ARA - clusters and clouds

Post by timh »

Looks to be a good image si-cho

Just to comment that I have a similar set up (CEM 70 mount, 120 guide camera and use PHD2) and that guiding with dithering works fine in SC

In SC 3.2 all of the dithering controls can be found under the guiding tab under the livestack menu (although Robin has moved some of them to the general setup tab in the beta version 4.0).

Not everyone does the same but I find it most convenient to capture frames from the livestack menu since it allows you to monitor and filter frames by FWHM and brightness and only save the good ones. You can also control PHD2 guiding and dithering from livestack. Typically if I am using say 40s frames then I will set the dither interval under the guiding tab at 80s so that it dithers every two frames - plus tick the short frame dither box, The menu also allows you to set the dither range (in guide camera pixels) as well as set the 'settle time' (normally 5-10s) and what it should settle to after a dither (normally to within 1-2 pixels).

TimH
si-cho

Re: A region in ARA - clusters and clouds

Post by si-cho »

Thanks a lot Tim, I have to learn the use of Livestack, actually I use it to see and verify that I am in exactly the region I want, after I run a sequence. I will try the way you do suggest.