M42, M43 and NGC1977, the bubble (again)

A place to share images that you have taken with SharpCap.
Forum rules
Please upload large images to photo sharing sites (flickr, etc) rather than trying to upload them as forum attachments.

Please share the equipment used and if possible camera settings to help others.
timh

M42, M43 and NGC1977, the bubble (again)

Post by timh »

Shameless crowd pleaser stuff but I was happy to get M42 at all and I hadn't ever seen NGC1977 before which is an attractive object in its own right somewhat overshadowed by its A list neighbors -- there is only a very brief window of opportunity between trees when I can catch it from my backyard

110mm WO triplet apo at F5.6 (WO reducer flattener), AstronomiK UHC, 41 min of 66s exposures, offset 10, gain 124 using cooled ASI 294MC. One point of possible interest is the HDMR/ mask function in Pixinsight which allowed the stretch of the central region to be altered so that the Trapezium stars are visible and not just blazed out

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=330584F8 ... 29&o=OneUp

Then, secondly, just to complement Bruce's post, a view of the bubble nebula comprising a stack of 1) 48 min stack of 3s, gain 200 exposures through a 10 inch Synscan F4.7 dobsonian with Baader coma corrector and UHC filter whihc was DSS combined with 2) a 45 min stack of 96s, gain 124 exposures through an 8 inch SW Newtonian at F 4.5 using the SW reducer/flattener plus UHC filter. It is not as sharp as Bruce's picture which I think was partly down to very poor seeing but also due to me relying on manual rather than autofocusing (running in and out of the house and transporting mud to my wife's annoyance). Using the UHC broad filter (and a lower total exposure time although faster F#) the signal to noise is poorer and the faint detail of the nebula is not really visible - there is also some artefactual gradient in the background possibly due to incorrect use of ABE in pixinsight? Against all that I do think that it looks quite pretty with sparkly diffraction spiked stars and colour contrast in both star and nebula.

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=330584F8 ... 29&o=OneUp

best wishes
Tim
umasscrew39

Re: M42, M43 and NGC1977, the bubble (again)

Post by umasscrew39 »

These are both very beautiful images, Tim. Congratulations but keep the wife happy so you can keep buying new telescope toys. :)

Bruce
turfpit

Re: M42, M43 and NGC1977, the bubble (again)

Post by turfpit »

Tim

A couple of nice images. I like the depth around M43 in the M42 image.

Dave