M1 Crab Nebula expansion in 69 years (video)

A place to share images that you have taken with SharpCap.
Forum rules
Please upload large images to photo sharing sites (flickr, etc) rather than trying to upload them as forum attachments.

Please share the equipment used and if possible camera settings to help others.
Menno555

M1 Crab Nebula expansion in 69 years (video)

Post by Menno555 »

I made this simple video to show the expansion of the M1 Crab Nebula in 69 years. The nebula is the leftover from a supernova that took place in the year 1054. The expansion of this supernova is clearly visible in this video.
Also visible are some stars that are moving in that same 69 year periode. In the bottom right a bright star is moving and (by the looks of it) getting closer or growing.

https://youtu.be/YrjVC-O5wOo

I made the video out of a capture made in November 1951 with the Palomar Schmidt telescope on Mount Palomar (source https://archive.stsci.edu/cgi-bin/dss_form) and a capture made by me in November 2020 with my Meade LX200 8" telescope (color capture on viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3391)
It is a repeating sequence switching between 1951 (smaller) and 2020 (bigger).
admin
Site Admin

Re: M1 Crab Nebula expansion in 69 years (video)

Post by admin »

Hi,

that's really neat - surprising in one way that it changes noticeably in a lifetime!

Robin
Menno555

Re: M1 Crab Nebula expansion in 69 years (video)

Post by Menno555 »

Thanks Robin!
And yes, that change I also did find surprising. So did some calculations: M1 is at 4900 / 8100 light years (sources differ on that info) so it sort of in the neighborhood and therefor changes are more noticeable.
It's expansion is around 1500 km/sec (930 miles/sec) which means that in 69 years it expanded around 0.345 light years.
And to make it complete: from the moment of supernova (as seen from Earth) till now, the expansion is around 4.83 light years ... not too shabby a distance for 966 years :)

Menno