IC5070 Pelican Nebula in Hubble (SHO) Palette

A place to share images that you have taken with SharpCap.
Forum rules
Please upload large images to photo sharing sites (flickr, etc) rather than trying to upload them as forum attachments.

Please share the equipment used and if possible camera settings to help others.
umasscrew39

IC5070 Pelican Nebula in Hubble (SHO) Palette

Post by umasscrew39 »

I was able to get a little over 6 hours (300s subs) of the Pelican nebula with Ha, SII, and OIII filters and a ZWO ASI294MM Pro on an 80mm APO triplet during 97-100% moon glow under Bortle 6 skies. While doing this, I have both a star and starless version as some folks like stars removed but I think I prefer the version with the stars. I probably need about 5 more hours to really get more nebulosity to pop out but I was pleased nonetheless. Once I added the stars back, I slightly boosted the color and contrast. The palettes are nice but they are so driven by personal preference that I created multiple color versions trying to decide which ones I like.....I still cannot decide :D .

Pelican SHOv2_adjusted_cropped_reduced.jpg
Pelican SHOv2_adjusted_cropped_reduced.jpg (536.42 KiB) Viewed 1080 times

Pelican SHO final_rd.jpg
Pelican SHO final_rd.jpg (527.82 KiB) Viewed 1080 times
oopfan

Re: IC5070 Pelican Nebula in Hubble (SHO) Palette

Post by oopfan »

Hi Bruce,

Really, really, nice! I like the star-version. Thank goodness for narrowband for when the Moon is out.

Brian
Menno555

Post by Menno555 »

Very, very nice!
I too like the star version. But that's also a personal taste: starless always looks "wrong" somehow :)

Menno
donstim

Post by donstim »

Pretty! I too like the version with stars, not just because it has stars, but because of the greater apparent contrast that really makes the colors pop. Although some may say you went to far in that space is not "black," the starless version looks washed out and foggy in comparison to me.

Don
umasscrew39

Post by umasscrew39 »

Thanks all for the kind words and comments.

Brian- I agree. Without NB my viewing of the universe would be greatly more hampered than it already is!

I also like the star version as well but I thought the starless version looked spookier for Halloween :-). When I showed both to family and friends it was almost a 50/50 split as to which one they preferred.