M13 first image in a while also with DIY lifting Pier

A place to share images that you have taken with SharpCap.
Forum rules
Please upload large images to photo sharing sites (flickr, etc) rather than trying to upload them as forum attachments.

Please share the equipment used and if possible camera settings to help others.
nexusjeep

M13 first image in a while also with DIY lifting Pier

Post by nexusjeep »

Well it's been a while since I have been on the SharpCap forum so this is the first image in a long time earlier in the year I made a new pier to lift the scope / mount and all the accessories out of the roof of the end of the workshop were it lives. This is the first time we have had ago imaging with it due to medical issues with my father and some other issues. It was a bit of a challenge as I had to remember how everything worked :D as the last image was in March.

This was only a quick test so only 75 x 60s shots at 100g -10c just to get going again, pleased with the pier as there appears to be no issue with movement as the guide error total in PHD was under 0.5 all night can probably get it better if I have a paly with the settings or make it worse :D .

Imaging kit : APM-LZOS 130/780 + 1.0x MR flattener, ASI2600MC-Pro+EAF
Mount : M-UNO
Guide : Skywatcher ED72Pro+0.8x reducer Altair 290M guide camera
Software: SharpCap, GSS Mount control software, PHD2, Stellarium, APP

Image 75 x 60s at 100g -10C / 50 Darks / 50 Flats / 50 FlatDarks / 50 Bias

M13 image straight out of camera and through APP, photoshop to crop and add text.

Image_20_09_21_M13_ASI2600MCPRO_-10_100g_75x60s by Nick Davis, on Flickr

Thanks for looking
Nick
Menno555

Re: M13 first image in a while also with DIY lifting Pier

Post by Menno555 »

Cool!! Nice and crisp :)

Menno
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

Glad to see you back – that's a lovely sharp image as Menno says :)

Now you have is all intrigued as to what a lifting pier is.... Are you going to reveal all?

Cheers, Robin
nexusjeep

Post by nexusjeep »

Thanks Menno, Robin it was not meant as an intrigue, my observatory is on the end of my workshop in the garden and has a pitched roof and it was not practical to slide the roof off it would have ended badly for dad's poly tunnel so I added two sliding doors in the roof that effectively when opened create a 1.8m x 1.5m opening. To use the scope I need to lift it so that the mount is slightly higher than the eave and the pier towards the outside wall to allow full travel of the scope in 360 degrees.

So I have built a pier that is telescopic or lifts the mount however you want to describe it, the first image below shows the construction the first column contains a lead screw that is driven by a motor and bevel gears that raise a leadscrew nut and a bar that projects out of the vertical slots. This lead screw hangs in a taper bearing in the top of the column and runs in a bearing block at the bottom so the leadscrew is always under tension. There is then a second column that sits over this and is locked to the bar so gets lifted vertically by the screw. Finally around both of these is a third fixed column that is rigidly attached to the base along with the centre column the middle and outer columns have rollers to guide it whilst lifting and then 1/4" aluminium angles that are locked together once fully extended. There is then an aluminium ring made from 5 x 50 x 75 angle to create upper rigidity and I machined some 1/4" steel discs with M16 threads / nuts to create a levelling plate the tops of the two columns are 54mm thick as I laminated 3 x 18mm pieces of ply the sides are single 18mm ply.

ImagePierBuild_001 by Nick Davis, on Flickr

The second image shows the pier in place lifted without the mount as the roof was closed when retracted it is 1350mm tall and when extended 2250mm, this retracted height allows the scope to sit under the roof in the standard park position with the dew shield retracted and is also at a convenient height to lift on and off and to perform maintenance. The leadscrew is 20mm diameter and 4mm pitch and takes 2 minutes to lift / retract the mount and the image shows the limit switch that stops it at either end, there is also a set of switches that cuts the power unless all four locking bolts are inserted into the block to prevent the accidental retraction of the column when it is locked at the top. The top ring is physically bolted to a set of 1/4" angles on the centre column when the pier is fully extended to guarantee the rigidity of the whole assembly, the image of M13 was taken on this in a 5mph wind so it is rigid. There are only two cables that go to the mount / scope the other two were power cables whilst I was working.

ImagePierBuild_002 by Nick Davis, on Flickr

Cheers
Nick
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I'm lost for words... what a super impressive piece of design and construction!

cheers,

Robin
umasscrew39

Post by umasscrew39 »

Very cool setup, Nick. I took the easier route and just designed it but I bought most of the stuff- not home built. This is awesome!

Bruce
umasscrew39

Post by umasscrew39 »

Here is my ASI2600MC to go along with yours. I call it my: 13M of M13 :lol: because weather has been horrible here all summer and I only got 13 minutes of M13- no darks, no flats; just 30s subs.
M13_adjusted.jpg
M13_adjusted.jpg (623 KiB) Viewed 1472 times
nexusjeep

Post by nexusjeep »

Thanks Robin/Bruce, I know the feeling were I live it is in between two rivers and the surrounding hills almost create a continuous stream of clouds so even if the apps say it going to be clear it usually is not. Hence the reason I built a weather station with infra red sensors so I can sit in the living room and access weather it is clear along with the Windy.com website with the satellite feed and IR overlay to see what's coming.

With the pier building it meant I could make it suit my purposes for space and lift although I do have a V2 on the drawing board but that will be quite a way into the future.

Cheers
Nick