Needle Galaxy and NGC 4562

A place to share images that you have taken with SharpCap.
Forum rules
Please upload large images to photo sharing sites (flickr, etc) rather than trying to upload them as forum attachments.

Please share the equipment used and if possible camera settings to help others.
umasscrew39

Re: Needle Galaxy and NGC 4562

Post by umasscrew39 »

Bortle 6
umasscrew39

Post by umasscrew39 »

Reprocessed the Needle Galaxy image that I posted initially. The reason was to compare using master darks and master flats created in SC vs. creating them and a master bias in PixInsight. I'll make a post under Deep Sky Imaging to discuss as this has been a hot topic on a number of forums. Curious if you think this is better, worse, or no difference.
Needle Galaxy_new3.jpg
Needle Galaxy_new3.jpg (182.61 KiB) Viewed 1219 times
oopfan

Post by oopfan »

Bruce,

It is noticeably better IMHO but I am "biased" towards brighter images even to the extent that I won't allow outer space to be black. My 32-inch LED monitor shows a brighter galaxy than the original but still black space.

Brian
donstim

Post by donstim »

I am partial to the 2nd one, too.

With some trepidation, I'll post my more EAA-oriented image comprised of 30 minutes of 20 second subs. No filter, Bortle 6 and through intermittent thin clouds with a Celestron Evolution 8 (Alt-Az mount) and f/6.3 reducer/corrector. ASI 294 MC Pro -- Flats/darks used.
Needle and NGC 4562.jpg
Needle and NGC 4562.jpg (370.69 KiB) Viewed 1208 times
Don
umasscrew39

Post by umasscrew39 »

Brian/Don......Thanks for your opinions.

Brian... also thanks for the reason why which is what hit me immediately as I was post-processing. I actually think so as well. I also wanted to post examples of the flats and darks from each approach but the file sizes are so large it is impossible to post them for a side by side comparison. Slightly different in visual appearance but there was more of a dramatic difference after the lights were debayered and stacked prior to doing automatic background extraction in PI. Frankly, using the SC produced master dark and flat is much easier than creating them in PI but I guess the end result is what matters.