Differential Photometry of Delta Scuti Variable Star "YZ Boo"

A place to share images that you have taken with SharpCap.
Forum rules
Please upload large images to photo sharing sites (flickr, etc) rather than trying to upload them as forum attachments.

Please share the equipment used and if possible camera settings to help others.
oopfan

Differential Photometry of Delta Scuti Variable Star "YZ Boo"

Post by oopfan »

I am always interested in finding things to do with my kit when the Moon interferes with normal wideband astrophotography. Last night the Moon was full so I turned my attention to a variable star in Bootes designated "YZ Boo". It is a 10th magnitude star that fluctuates in brightness from approximately 10.3 to 10.8 with a period of 2.5 hours. It is one of my favorites:
YZ Boo Light Curve 2020-04-09.png
YZ Boo Light Curve 2020-04-09.png (15.82 KiB) Viewed 1362 times
Seeing conditions rapidly declined, not only due to the Moon, but also a storm front that moved swiftly towards me. When I began imaging there was a feeling of dampness in the air but nothing severe. By the end of the 2.0 hour session my equipment was wet with dew (thankfully my DIY dew heater bands around the objective lens and one around the nose of the CCD prevented disaster.)

You can see how a blanket of damp air descended on me from the first frame:
YZ Boo First Frame 2020-04-09.png
YZ Boo First Frame 2020-04-09.png (339.57 KiB) Viewed 1362 times
to the last frame:
YZ Boo Last Frame 2020-04-09.png
YZ Boo Last Frame 2020-04-09.png (257.31 KiB) Viewed 1362 times
I had to cut the session short after 2.0 hours when a thick blanket of clouds arrived.

(Continued below)

Brian
Last edited by oopfan on Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
oopfan

Re: Differential Photometry of Delta Scuti Variable Star "YZ Boo"

Post by oopfan »

Continuation...

I decided on a 50s exposure which placed the star near the midpoint of the camera's 16-bit range, around 30,000 ADU. Thankfully the field included a few constant-brightness stars, one of which I used for comparison.

Here is a plot of the peak pixel value over time. Look primarily at the pink plot. It is the constant-brightness comparison star. You can see how the peak steadily declined as the damp air progressively blocked starlight:
YZ Boo Plot Peak 2020-04-09.png
YZ Boo Plot Peak 2020-04-09.png (23.25 KiB) Viewed 1353 times
The next plot requires some explanation. If you look back at the First and Last Frames you can see that I placed an "aperture" on the variable star (T1) and the comparison star (C2). The central bulls-eye is designed to surround the star so that starlight can be integrated over its area. Then there are two annulus rings: the inner annulus and the outer annulus. The outer annulus is used to sample the sky background. The inner annulus is simply a buffer between the aperture and the outer annulus.

This plot is the difference between the aperture and the outer annulus. Notice how we are getting closer to the final resulting light curve:
YZ Boo Plot Source-Sky  2020-04-09.png
YZ Boo Plot Source-Sky 2020-04-09.png (23.08 KiB) Viewed 1353 times
There is one step left. We need to calculate the difference between the blue plot (the variable star) and the pink plot (the comparison star). This yields the resulting light curve:
YZ Boo Light Curve 2020-04-09.png
YZ Boo Light Curve 2020-04-09.png (15.82 KiB) Viewed 1353 times
Continued below...

Brian
Last edited by oopfan on Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oopfan

Post by oopfan »

For comparison here is the light curve of YZ Boo contributed by members of the American Association of Variable Star Observers (AAVSO). These people have some serious equipment including CCD cameras having a Full Well Depth of 100,000 electrons:
ELCG.jpg
ELCG.jpg (167.95 KiB) Viewed 1353 times
Several members on this SharpCap forum have some serious equipment that is perfectly suited to Variable Star measurement and ExoPlanet research. Please contact me if you are interested.

By the way I used a free package called AstroImageJ for calibration and photometry. It is easy to use once you run through it a couple times. Also, AAVSO's Variable Star Index (VSX) is available online to members and non-members alike. With it you can search a vast database of variable stars that meet your criteria. You don't necessarily need costly photometric filters to have fun. I used a standard luminance filter but I do have Astrodon Photometric "V" and "B" filters on another filter wheel.

Done!

Brian
oopfan

Post by oopfan »

Thanks Robin for your help!
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Very in depth write-up Brian. Thanks.

Dave