Endymion, Mercurius, Messala: #21 orange filter

A place to share images that you have taken with SharpCap.
Forum rules
Please upload large images to photo sharing sites (flickr, etc) rather than trying to upload them as forum attachments.

Please share the equipment used and if possible camera settings to help others.
turfpit

Endymion, Mercurius, Messala: #21 orange filter

Post by turfpit »

2020-03-27, 10% waxing moon. High res image here https://www.astrobin.com/zz9jmu/?nc=user.
Celestron AVX mount, Celestron C8, Teleskop f6.3 reducer, Wratten #21 (orange) filter, Altair 183M camera.
SharpCap 3.2, SER, MONO8, gain=400, exposure 14ms, 1000 frames.
Autostakkert!3 best 10% of 1000, GIMP 2.10 for processing (sharpen-unsharp mask, shadows-highlights, contrast).

Endymion-Mercurious-Messala.png
Endymion-Mercurious-Messala.png (234.75 KiB) Viewed 2044 times

19_19_44.CameraSettings.txt
(661 Bytes) Downloaded 91 times

These are the names of craters in that region. Data from Virtual Moon Atlas https://ap-i.net/avl/en/download

named-craters.png
named-craters.png (330.1 KiB) Viewed 2044 times

Dave
oopfan

Re: Endymion, Mercurius, Messala: #21 orange filter

Post by oopfan »

You da Moon Man, Dave.
Great work!
umasscrew39

Post by umasscrew39 »

Just awesome, Dave!!!!
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Cheers Brian. The #21 orange filter is rumoured to "improve clarity of formations at the lunar terminator". Atmosphere was 'boiling' when I captured this. I have a couple more filters which are supposed to improve lunar features. I will carry out a systematic evaluation as weather permits. What I did discover is that a 10% moon is quite tricky to image - the bright rim and dark terminator are very close together.

Thanks Bruce. Haven't you got a C11? Perhaps you could have a go at lunar with it. Should be quite interesting. The moon is quite challenging.

Dave
umasscrew39

Post by umasscrew39 »

Hey Dave

I usually just look at the moon visually with my 122mm refractor but would be interesting to give it a go. Do you have a workflow you can share? I have an ASI1600MM that might work well on the C11. I have Autostakkert3! but have never used it. I downloaded it to use with my Daystar Quark which I also haven't tried yet.

Bruce
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Bruce

Have a look at viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1450. I know the author, he's a great guy. ;)

It is all in the histogram but a different shape to deep sky. There are 2 scenarios - disk surrounded by black (or partial black) & full surface.
https://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/3.2/#Using% ... %20Quality

The 1600 is USB3 I suppose. Evaluate your highest frame rate for different capture areas RAW8 (or whatever it is called in that camera).

For lunar (& planetary) fps is king as you try to beat the seeing.

I will have a look round at my other posts, I think I have some workflow detailed. If not I will write something.

I learned lunar imaging off this guy http://www.damianpeach.com/lunarindex.htm. 2 x 6 hour workshops, 1 year apart. Same workshop repeated - I had some good questions second time around. The images I am producing now are the result of over 2 years of grind.

Dave
mAnKiNd

Post by mAnKiNd »

Thanks for the workflow Dave and Bruce, will get into it myself :)
umasscrew39

Post by umasscrew39 »

Thanks for the detailed info, Dave. Not sure about the great guy bit, :lol: , but I will take your word on it. It is obvious you have spent a lot of time and effort in nailing this down. It looks like a whole new hobby vs. DSO imaging.
turfpit

Post by turfpit »