Live Stack 3 Panel Mosaic Orion & Running Man

A place to share images that you have taken with SharpCap.
Forum rules
Please upload large images to photo sharing sites (flickr, etc) rather than trying to upload them as forum attachments.

Please share the equipment used and if possible camera settings to help others.
BlackWikkett

Live Stack 3 Panel Mosaic Orion & Running Man

Post by BlackWikkett »

An other cool clear Friday night in NE Georgia, USA. This was a really windy outing. During the day we had sustained 20+ MPH winds with gusts in the mid 30s. During the imaging session wind was 10 MPH or less with some gusts in the 20s but the mount and PHD2 were able to compensate.

With the windy conditions I wasn't expecting very much so slewed to a big bright object, M42, that would fill the frame. Initial capture looked promising so continued to capture more of the edges then slewed to the running man to with plenty of frame overlap.

The images were all live stacked then edited in Photoshop for crop, additional white balance, tweaking the stretch and adjusting levels to attempt to get the background close for all the panels. Panels then combined in Microsoft Image Composite Editor.

Captured live on NSN. Even made a quick mosaic with the images as they were saved from live stacking. Amazing what a good CMOS astronomy camera and SharpCap can do!

Equipment:
RC 6 with Astro-Physics CCDT67 reducer. This steps down from f/9 1370 mm to f/6.7 1032 mm
IDAS D1 LPS filter
ZWO ASI294 MC Pro -10c
exposures 15 seconds at 300 gain 10 brightness 2 panels M42 / M43
exposures 30 seconds at 300 gain 10 brightness NGC 1977
Using master flat and dark
SharpCap v3.2.6232 64 Bit Live Stacking
iOptron CEM60 mount
Stellarvue 50mm Guide Scope with ZWO ASI290 MM guide camera + PHD2

Thanks, Chris

ImageM42 M43 NGC1977 3 panel mosaic by Black Wikkett, on Flickr
ImageNGC1977 PS Edit Stack_72frames_2160s_WithDisplayStretch by Black Wikkett, on Flickr
ImageM42 P2 PS Edit Stack_66frames_990s_WithDisplayStretch by Black Wikkett, on Flickr
ImageM42 P1 PS Edit Stack_61frames_915s_WithDisplayStretch by Black Wikkett, on Flickr
turfpit

Re: Live Stack 3 Panel Mosaic Orion & Running Man

Post by turfpit »

Chris

Good effort in windy conditions. A clever bit of processing to enable seem-less stitching of the 15s and 30s stacks.

Dave
BlackWikkett

Post by BlackWikkett »

Thanks Dave. Captured while broadcasting to NSN and then took the raw images from SC live stack and show everyone one how to use Microsoft ICE (image composite editor) Many were blown away how easy this process was and the results produced.

-Chris
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

A brave man indeed Chris. ICE is stunningly simple, my most ambitious a 16-panel lunar image
https://www.astrobin.com/full/343145/B/ ... page=3&nc=

Dave
nexusjeep

Post by nexusjeep »

Nice image Chris of Orion and Dave nice lunar image, I have a plan to have ago at a mosaic of the Markarian's Chain area if we ever see the sky again and get more than one clear night.

Cheers
Nick
BlackWikkett

Post by BlackWikkett »

Thanks Nick

All though I've not used it in my latest mosaics since i used my MK 1 eyeball. EQMOSAIC worked well for me in the past. It's a little finicky but once get a the hang of it works well. I used it to move the mount with the correct overlap then plate solved to confirm.

Here's the link to their page. http://eq-mod.sourceforge.net/mosaic/

-Chris
nexusjeep

Post by nexusjeep »

Hi Chris,
I have moved away from EQMOD and now use GSS to control the mount but will just use Stellarium to set the overlaps up as I intend to do it using just the flattener rather than putting in the reducer to get more detail in the objects as it then gives me 1 arc second per pixel although it is only about 1.3 per pixel with the reducer in.

Cheers
Nick
BlackWikkett

Post by BlackWikkett »

Nick,
EQMOSAIC is totally separate from EQMOD. It's a stand alone app. I use it with my iOptron mount and Stellarium. I believe it's made by the same group that created EQMOD. Hence the name and interface similarities.

-Chris
donstim

Post by donstim »

Chris,
Nice! Any chance there's recording of that night's broadcast that I can access? I'm interested in learning more about making simple mosaics.
Don
BlackWikkett

Post by BlackWikkett »

donstim wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:40 pm Chris,
Nice! Any chance there's recording of that night's broadcast that I can access? I'm interested in learning more about making simple mosaics.
Don
Sorry no these broadcasts are not recorded. If you're ever on my broadcast I'll be happy to show you how I make them. Just ask on voice or in the chat. I've been asked a few times to make tutorial videos but usually just show folks over at NSN how I go about it. If the demand is there I can attempt to make a video.
-Chris