Live Stack Mosaic Horse and Flame

A place to share images that you have taken with SharpCap.
Forum rules
Please upload large images to photo sharing sites (flickr, etc) rather than trying to upload them as forum attachments.

Please share the equipment used and if possible camera settings to help others.
BlackWikkett

Live Stack Mosaic Horse and Flame

Post by BlackWikkett »

Two panel mosaic of the Horsehead Nebula B33 and Flame Nebula NGC2024. Used Live Stacking to capture individual panels then combined the images with Microsoft Image Composite Editor. Framed the Flame nebula by trying to get Alnitak exactly centered in frame to minimize any reflections from this bright star. Did not get it exactly centered as there is still a slight semi-circular reflection just of the center of the star. Happy with the result based on each image of the mosaic only has 45 minuets capture time.

Equipment:
RC 6 F/6.8 (AP CCDT67 Reducer) 1032mm FL
IDAS D1 LPS Filter
SharpCap 3.2.6128
PHD2 guiding and dither every 120 seconds
Photoshop to color balance, crop, noise reduction
Microsoft Image Composite Editor to create mosaic

Follow images links to Flickr for more image information

ImageB33 & NGC2024 Mosaic by Black Wikkett, on Flickr

ImageNGC2024 PS Edit Stack_95frames_2850s_WithDisplayStretch by Black Wikkett, on Flickr

ImageB33 PS Edit Stack_95frames_2676s_WithDisplayStretch by Black Wikkett, on Flickr
turfpit

Re: Live Stack Mosaic Horse and Flame

Post by turfpit »

I like that Wickett - well done. The 30s exposures is noted. Could this be the start of a big Orion mosaic?

Dave
BlackWikkett

Post by BlackWikkett »

Thanks Dave. Don't know about a mosaic, that's a lot of real estate to cover. It's and idea I'll think about after calculate how many panels that would take.
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

M42/M43/Running Man might be 4 frames with my Atik 314e - similar for your setup. If I use the 183C (5000x3000) a straight line from M43 through to Horsehead would get Flame to M42 in maybe 4 panels.
NeilG

Post by NeilG »

Nice work, and I love the tip about putting Alnitak (or bright star in any field) right in the centre of the frame - would solve similar probs with my ASI1600.

Neil
Scopes: Celestron C11, 102SLT , Ascension 127mm Apo, Opticstar 152mm Mak, Ascension 80mm Apo
Mounts: EQ8, EQ5 Pro, Nexstar SLT
Imaging: ASI1600MM-Cool, ASI533MC-Pro, ASI290MM, ASI224MC, Quark, QHY5L-II-M,
Opticstar 82 eyepieces, lots of other stuff
umasscrew39

Post by umasscrew39 »

Spectacular images, BlackWikkett. The IDAS LPS D1 has served me well for years but recently started using the Optolong L-enhance filter in my greater LP, more humid Florida skies compared to California. Are these under fairly dark skies?

Bruce
BlackWikkett

Post by BlackWikkett »

Thanks for your kind words. I'm in NE Georgia, USA and skies are bortle 5 - 6 right on the edge. I'm 45 min away from Atlanta's massive light dome towards the west of my location. I don't have the humidity of Florida but do have the dirty south humidity of Georgia. In other words I need three dew heaters on year round. I"m constantly amazed what ASI294 one shot color cameras are capable of.
umasscrew39

Post by umasscrew39 »

Similar to me as far as Bortle 5/6 skies. I also have a dew shield and dew heater as my C11" SCT is a dew magnet but even with that, I have many nights (like last night) that the humidity overwhelms the system.

Yes, indeed. The Optolong L-enhance filter is a top performer. I've been using it the past 3 months and posting on NSN with pleasing results and comments. So, I am happy despite not being an AP expert as it gives me a chance to do both live views and export those to get some decent AP quality images without collecting 15-20 hrs of data, which is not my interest.

On another note: If you see my stuff on NSN, which I know you are on, please feel free to provide constructive feedback. I enjoy learning and getting better.

Thanks again for sharing your great images.

BTW- Atlanta is a great city. I had family living there a long time.
Last edited by umasscrew39 on Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

With my C8, I use a dew shield + 2 dew heater bands otherwise I am misted out very quickly. I am located on the west side of the Pennine Hills, UK. All the cotton mills were built here during the industrial revolution because the damp climate stopped the cotton snapping when it was being spun.

Dave
umasscrew39

Post by umasscrew39 »

turfpit wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:29 pm With my C8, I use a dew shield + 2 dew heater bands otherwise I am misted out very quickly. I am located on the west side of the Pennine Hills, UK. All the cotton mills were built here during the industrial revolution because the damp climate stopped the cotton snapping when it was being spun.

Taking your lead and BlackWikkett's - just ordered another dew heat strap and hopefully two is better than one.

I know what you mean about the UK. Been traveling to the UK for years for work. Certainly a challenge weather-wise.