The Crab & California Nebulae with a hyperstar

A place to share images that you have taken with SharpCap.
Forum rules
Please upload large images to photo sharing sites (flickr, etc) rather than trying to upload them as forum attachments.

Please share the equipment used and if possible camera settings to help others.
umasscrew39

The Crab & California Nebulae with a hyperstar

Post by umasscrew39 »

The hyperstar is so fantastic to display a wide field of view. I sometimes use it for "small" objects like the Crab N (M1) to just show the vastness of space vs. a large DSO like the California nebula which extends beyond the field of view using the hyperstar a C11". Both captured using a ZWO ASI 294MC Pro cooled cam with the Optolong L-eNhance filter with images stacked in SC and then some post-processing done in PixInsight.
Attachments
Crab Nebula_.jpg
Crab Nebula_.jpg (560.67 KiB) Viewed 1510 times
California Nebula__.jpg
California Nebula__.jpg (751.58 KiB) Viewed 1510 times
nexusjeep

Re: The Crab & California Nebulae with a hyperstar

Post by nexusjeep »

Cracking images as usual at least it gives me something to look at other than the gale force winds and driving rain. October was pretty much a write off November is starting well :(

What were the stack times?

Cheers
Nick
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Nice images Bruce. Good features on M1. California Nebula is huge - definitely a candidate for a mosaic.

Dave
umasscrew39

Post by umasscrew39 »

Thanks for the compliments. Both of these are 60s unguided stacks for 2 hrs. I am always fighting high humidity, resulting in below average transparency. Also, after moving to Florida 18 months ago, I think I have had maybe 6 weeks of great skies. Not good after spending a fortune on building an observatory. But, it is what it is which is why I am learning more AP and moving away from just live viewing as the views alone are not very clear.

I appreciate any constructive feedback.

Nick- hope you get better skies soon. It is very frustrating.

Dave- a mosaic? Not yet- I need to get the fundamentals figured out first but great idea! She is a big DSO extending over 100 light years across- just amazing. I'll take M1 again close in at f/7 because she has great features like you said and color.

Thanks again for your kind words- it gives me encouragement to keep getting better!!
umasscrew39

Post by umasscrew39 »

Reprocessed as I added a few more hours of the California Nebula (NGC 1499) for a total of 6 hrs vs the 2 hrs I posted above. I think this looks a little better but have steered at it so long that I am not sure anymore. It would be nice to capture nebulae like this on nights with above average transparency and seeing but I rarely get those.
Attachments
NGC_ 1499.jpg
NGC_ 1499.jpg (957.53 KiB) Viewed 1394 times