Little Dumbbell Nebula, Messier 76

A place to share images that you have taken with SharpCap.
Forum rules
Please upload large images to photo sharing sites (flickr, etc) rather than trying to upload them as forum attachments.

Please share the equipment used and if possible camera settings to help others.
umasscrew39

Little Dumbbell Nebula, Messier 76

Post by umasscrew39 »

This little guy was tough. Little Dumbbell Nebula taken with a C11" EdgeHD @f/7 using a ZWO ASI 294 Cooled Pro camera at -10 (gain 300; offset 4) with the Optolong L-eNhance filter. Taken over 3 nights under 94-100% moon illumination. Guided and dithered 180s stacks (darks and flats applied) were star aligned and integrated using PixInsights followed by post-processing. I found this much harder then some of the more common emission nebulae but constructive feedback always welcome. It is interesting that when you look at this nebula from other sites like Astrobin, vastly different views of it are posted.
Attachments
Little Dumbbell N.jpg
Little Dumbbell N.jpg (557.11 KiB) Viewed 1191 times
nexusjeep

Re: Little Dumbbell Nebula, Messier 76

Post by nexusjeep »

Nice image, still think they look more like apple cores rather than dumbbells though, if it does not stop raining soon I will have forgotten how to use most of my kit :)

Cheers
Nick
umasscrew39

Re: Little Dumbbell Nebula, Messier 76

Post by umasscrew39 »

Thanks, Nick. Agree- it does look very much like apple cores. Funny how some of these nicknames originate. Based on your comment about rain, I assume you are in the UK :). I say that as I have been going to the UK for almost 25 years for work and only have had a few multiple nice days in a row. You can come over to Orlando, FL and help me fight the humidity!