Messier 27: A SharpCap-PixInsight Combination

A place to share images that you have taken with SharpCap.
Forum rules
Please upload large images to photo sharing sites (flickr, etc) rather than trying to upload them as forum attachments.

Please share the equipment used and if possible camera settings to help others.
umasscrew39

Messier 27: A SharpCap-PixInsight Combination

Post by umasscrew39 »

I'm just learning PI but it compliments SC very well in that SC gives great live views and then PI can be used for some post processing.

This was taken with a ZWO ASI294 MC cooled camera on a C11" using the new Optolong L-eNhancer filter. Gain was 300 and exposure was 60s. This was a stack of 65.

Image below was taken with 97% moon illumination with below average transparency and average seeing in a Bortle 5/6 area.
Messier 27.jpg
Messier 27.jpg (97.87 KiB) Viewed 3063 times
turfpit

Re: Messier 27: A SharpCap-PixInsight Combination

Post by turfpit »

Very nice, the C11 certainly brings out the detail. An identical capture with no moon would be an interesting comparison.

Dave
umasscrew39

Post by umasscrew39 »

Thanks, Dave. And agree on a new moon image for more details. The hot, humid FL summer is not the time to really do this but the new Optolong duo narrowband filter certainly helps. I'm also hoping that as my SC and PI skills improve, so will the images. I especially like this approach as my scope is 11ft up on a permanent pier in my observatory and I would rather not have to guide if I can keep my AP1100 working well at 60s exposures.

Bruce
nexusjeep

Post by nexusjeep »

Nice image, longer term I am considering a second camera and am planning on looking at a colour one, how are you finding the optolong filter as I was seriously considering it as an option at the same time.

Cheers
Nick
umasscrew39

Post by umasscrew39 »

Hi Nick

Thank you.

I really am liking it as I have now used it on multiple nights on several DSOs and it really enhances them in my Bortle 5/6 LP area during the humid summer Orlando nights. If you are in an LP area like mine, I would seriously consider it. I've only tried it on my ASI385MC and ASI294MC cameras and it works well on both. It is also highly recommended by Dean at Starizona and much more cost effective than the OPT Triad filter.

Bruce
Last edited by umasscrew39 on Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nexusjeep

Post by nexusjeep »

Thanks for that Bruce as I was already leaning towards it as a filter, as I am looking at an ASI071 colour possibly but am hanging fire for a bit as there are rumours of some new ZWO cameras.

Cheers
Nick
umasscrew39

Post by umasscrew39 »

I heard that too but it sounds like full frame cams so might be very expensive. Also heard they might not come out until end of the year or early next year but those are just rumors I am hearing. The ASI071 should give you a really wide FOV, more than the ASI294. Let me know how you make it.

BR,
Bruce
carlwagle

Post by carlwagle »

That is a very very nice picture.
I'm working with the simplest, inexpensive equipment that a "newbie" could buy. I think,, it's just what a 15 year old should be encouraged to buy. I just recently posted the fact that I'm suddenly mysteriously not able to see a trace of an image after stacking it in SC.

Perhaps I have found out where my equipment fails me. But I doubt that. Could you offer any sugestions? Carl
umasscrew39

Post by umasscrew39 »

Hi Carl

Thank you for the compliment. I agree, the simpler the better as far as I am concerned about the equipment.

It sounds like you are seeing individual frames but not the stack after you save it. Can you post a screen shot of what you see and a copy of your log in SC? If you do that, the information might helps folks figure out the problem.

Bruce
nexusjeep

Post by nexusjeep »

Hi Bruce,
I have also replied to Carl's post on the original thread that he posted with basically the same assumption and an example

viewtopic.php?f=23&p=9452#p9349

Cheers
Nick