M106 needs help

A place to share images that you have taken with SharpCap.
Forum rules
Please upload large images to photo sharing sites (flickr, etc) rather than trying to upload them as forum attachments.

Please share the equipment used and if possible camera settings to help others.
numchuck

M106 needs help

Post by numchuck »

I captured this on June 8th in Boerne , Texas with an ES127 FCD100 and a QHY183m on a CGX mount and guided with an orion 60mm f4 and a QHY5III290 . The main camera was set for 8 second exposures and a gain of 24 ; but I had some driver issues that limited my total exposure time to less than 26 minutes . So I know there are shortcomings with this image ; but what I need help with is my PHD2 setup . This was my very first attempt at guiding ; but I think my image is worse , in that , my stars are less round , than before , when I just used SharpCapPro by itself . I used 2 second exposures for my guide camera and PHD2 was telling me that it was guiding to within just over half an arc second . I know it probably wasn't really that good ; but I am very very new at using this program ; and I have not yet tried to dither ; but can you suggest ways that I might improve my guiding so that my stars are more round again ? Do you think that taking longer exposures with the guide camera would help , by limiting the frequency of corrections ?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10nKNpP ... p=drivesdk

thank you for looking