Messier Marathon March 27 and 28 2019

A place to share images that you have taken with SharpCap.
Forum rules
Please upload large images to photo sharing sites (flickr, etc) rather than trying to upload them as forum attachments.

Please share the equipment used and if possible camera settings to help others.
BlackWikkett

Messier Marathon March 27 and 28 2019

Post by BlackWikkett »

I completed my first Messier marathon last night. The entire marathon was broadcast live on NSN https://www.nightskiesnetwork.com/ In total I was able to capture 78 of the 110 Messier objects. I used SharpCap Live Stacking to capture 5 x 60 second exposures for 5 minute total exposure for each object. Used an object order that I found online, sorry can't remember the site. This object order was setup as a bookmark list in Stellarium. I started at dusk once I could confirm my polar alignment with Polmaster and checked focus. Created a master flat and applied a master dark from my dark library. Each object was centered in it's own capture. I did not count multiple objects in one frame. First object was captured at 21:08 and the last object the next morning 06:48. Sunrise was 07:29 so I was struggling with the last few image due to sky glow from Moon and Sun.

Equipment: RC 6 f/9 1370mm FL, ZWO ASI294 MC Pro, IDAS D1 LPS, iOptron CEM60. USED PHD as finder to confirm slew but no guiding. Plate solved via SC to center each object and confirm the correct object.

Since there are 78 images I'm just providing the link to the Flickr album https://flic.kr/s/aHskQ3jiw2

Also since this is the gallery here's the first and last images of the marathon.

ImageM76 Stack_5frames_300s_WithDisplayStretch by Black Wikkett, on Flickr

ImageM11 Stack_6frames_180s_WithDisplayStretch by Black Wikkett, on Flickr

This was a great experience and highly recommend attempting this if you have an observing site that's suitable. Thanks for having a look!