Live Stacks 11-04-2018

A place to share images that you have taken with SharpCap.
Forum rules
Please upload large images to photo sharing sites (flickr, etc) rather than trying to upload them as forum attachments.

Please share the equipment used and if possible camera settings to help others.
BlackWikkett

Live Stacks 11-04-2018

Post by BlackWikkett »

Back again from Georgia USA with a clear night. Started observing at 8:00 PM on 11-3 and finished up at a little passed 6:00 AM on 11-4. 11 hours total since daylight savings time ended giving me an extra hour.

All images were live stacked with SharpCap 3.2.5865. No post processing all adjustments made live while observing. Some images have noise reduction and sharpening via the live stack enhancement tab. Unfortunately the text file saved with images doesn't indicate sharpening or noise reduction so I don't remember which images have it applied.

Equipment:
RC 6, ZWO ASI183MC Pro, IDAS D1 LPS, .75 Reducer F6.8 FL=1029
iOptron CEM25P mount, 9x50 Stellarvue guider, ZWO ASI120MM guide camera, Polemaster, PHD2

- individual frames (unless noted otherwise) 240 seconds, Bin 2, Gain 300, offset 25, cooler at -15
- 7x240s master dark
- 5x90s master dark
- 30x master flat

Not all of these are keepers, just reporting back on the results I achieved. Images are presented in the order I captured them through out the night. I really enjoy being able to capture and adjust these images as the individual frames come in. Mostly get a pleasing result and no processing later.

ImageM 57 Ring Nebula by Black Wikkett, on Flickr
4 x 240s not the best settings for this object but didn't want to re-shoot darks

ImageNGC 6995 Eastern Veil Nebula by Black Wikkett, on Flickr
21 x 240s you can see stacking artifacts on right and bottom but I like the result

ImageM 1 Crab Nebula by Black Wikkett, on Flickr
15 x 240s first time imaging this one

ImageIC 443 Jelly Fish Nebula by Black Wikkett, on Flickr
11 x 240s little grainy and some stacking artifacts on the edges

ImageNGC 2024 Flame Nebula by Black Wikkett, on Flickr
12 x 240s this has all sorts of problems, Alnitak is so bright and bouncing reflections of the secondary all over the place. Tried framing Alnitak out but he was stubborn. Did get some nice detail in the nebula though

ImageB 33 Horsehead Nebula by Black Wikkett, on Flickr
19 x 240s Not really sure what happend with this image, it was looking much better then the final image stacked and saved and we have this sharp horizontal split in the image. Also some stacking artifacts on the edges and Alnitak is causing secondary reflection on the right

To finish up the night we head over to M 42. Tried some different variations of exposure, gain and offset.

ImageM 42 Orion Nebula by Black Wikkett, on Flickr
19 x 90s 300 Gain, 35 Offset, Bin 2 with dark and flat applied. Core is very blown out but some nice detail in the nebula

59 x 15s 200 Gain, 40 Offset, Bin 2 and flat applied NO Dark Master

27 x 30s 100 Gain, 50 Offset, Bin 2 and flat applied NO Dark Master

Here are the calibration frames used for the live stacks for those interested

ImageFlatl-2018-11-03-R16-Bin2 by Black Wikkett, on Flickr
If you've seen my last Live Stack post you'll know I had a lot dirt on my filters, reducer and camera glass. Good cleaning and now only have one stubborn dust bunny probably on the sensor and I'm hesitant to open it up to clean it

ImageDark-2018-11-03-R16-Bin2-7x240s by Black Wikkett, on Flickr

ImageDark-2018-10-28-R16-Bin2-5x90s by Black Wikkett, on Flickr

ImageSmarthistogram11-03-18-240s-300g-Bin2 by Black Wikkett, on Flickr
Brain failed to deliver a good result. This is a single exposure with my usual settings

-Wikkett