Jupiter from last night

A place to share images that you have taken with SharpCap.
Forum rules
Please upload large images to photo sharing sites (flickr, etc) rather than trying to upload them as forum attachments.

Please share the equipment used and if possible camera settings to help others.
cuivenion

Jupiter from last night

Post by cuivenion »

Here's my introduction. Jupiter taken at today at 5:35am.

Taken using an Altair GPCAM v1 with a Skywatcher 200p on an EQ5 (AstroEQ) mount. Processed with PIPP, Autostakkert, Registax and GIMP 2.9.5. I used a 2x Astro Engineering AC333 barlow.

Left to right are the moons Ganymede, Callisto, Europa.

Here's the camera info:

[GPCAMAR0130C]
Output Format=AVI files (*.avi)
Capture Area=1024x768
Binning=1x1
Pan=128
Tilt=96
Colour Space=RGB24
Flip=None
USB Speed=4
Auto Exp Target=120
Frame Rate Limit=Maximum
Analogue Gain=300
Exposure=23
Timestamp Frames=Off
Hue=0
Saturation=128
Contrast=0
Brightness=0
Gamma=100
Extra Controls=Off (Faster)
Negative=Off
Colour Tint=1000
Colour Temp=6503
Subtract Dark=None
Display Brightness=1
Display Contrast=1
Display Gamma=1
admin
Site Admin

Re: Jupiter from last night

Post by admin »

Nice image - it's good to see the moons as well as the planet like that :)

Looks like your setup could cope with some more magnification to get some more detail out of the planet. Were you aware of the trick of increasing the distance between the barlow and the camera to increase the magnification of the barlow? An extension tube is a good way to do this, but even just not pushing the camera all the way home into the barlow will grab a little extra magnification.

cheers,

Robin
cuivenion

Post by cuivenion »

Thanks Robin, I've noticed that on this forum that the image is a little smaller than on others. When you click on the image it opens showing a smaller version rather than the full resolution one.

I did use that trick of increasing the magnification with this image, I just didn't put the camera all the way in. :). I tried my x5 barlow but I think that was too much for the seeing conditions, I've not had much luck processing the x5 barlow images as yet.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I have put an extension onto the forum that does the pop out image thing and it does scale down the 'non popped out' view for large images to stop them from being too wide. When I look at the popped out version it seems to be displaying the image full size for me (1024x768), although it may depend on the size of your browser window as I think it fits it in view.

All this forum software is new to me, so finding my way a bit and it turns out that the latest version of the phpbb - 3.2 - which is in use here is quite new, so some tweaks that can be applied to older versions aren't available yet. Suggestions from anyone who has phpbb experience welcome!

cheers,

Robin
cuivenion

Post by cuivenion »

Afraid I can't help you there, but the forums' looking good to me. I just mentioned it because you were talking about the image scale. Hopefully they'll be more people posting before long, Sharpcap is popular. :)
jimmyscotts

Post by jimmyscotts »

It good to see that there a improve image of the planet Jupiter.
cuivenion

Post by cuivenion »

Thanks Jimmy!