Is it possible to script a random mount slew i.a.w. simulated dithering?

Discussions on extending SharpCap using the built in Python scripting functionality
Menno555

Is it possible to script a random mount slew i.a.w. simulated dithering?

Post by Menno555 »

I don't use guiding (yet) since my Ioptron CEM25EC is doing almost perfect tracking. So I have been trying the trick with the Live Stacking and then using dithering there without stacking but saving as individual RAW's. Had to install PHD too for that but it isn't working.
I know there is something in the make with (perhaps) the next SC version.

I know absolutely nothing about scripting. Did read about it here and tried some things but it's just gibberish for me :)
So I was wondering: is it possible with a script to do a tiny random slew through Ascom? It could be very basic, for example: leaving variables like exposure time and amount of captures open, to be filled in before starting the script.
Something like: "exposure time=40 seconds, slew random after 11 exposures for X sec.". Ofcourse the mount backlash (if any) is not measured then and the random movement could be mostly horizontal then like in my case where I know that my DEC is slower reacting then my RA.
I do this same action manually now but I noticed that somehow I have a unconsciously, preferred direction to move the mount (strange but true).
Plus it might be a nice exercise to see the scripting in action and understanding it a bit :)

Menno
admin
Site Admin

Re: Is it possible to script a random mount slew i.a.w. simulated dithering?

Post by admin »

Hi

very small slews are hard to control – a better option is to do a GOTO to a nearby location. All of that could be scripted up using the Python scripting, but you are probably better off waiting for SharpCap 3.3 to be available in beta in a month or two – that has a sequencer tool that allows dithering using PhD without needing to live stack.

Cheers, Robin
Menno555

Re: Is it possible to script a random mount slew i.a.w. simulated dithering?

Post by Menno555 »

Thanks Robin, I'll wait then :)
Will look closer at PHD too: I tried that together with the trick you described with saving individual captures with the Live Stacking but there were errors saying that there was no connection. Maybe a setting I missed.

Menno