2017 Solar Eclipse Camera Control Script

Discussions on extending SharpCap using the built in Python scripting functionality
DavidCollings

2017 Solar Eclipse Camera Control Script

Post by DavidCollings »

Hello Everyone,

I have finished my camera control script for the entire 2017 Solar Eclipse event on August 21, 2017. :D I will be on the center line in Tennessee NE of Nashville recording the entire event close up and in HA Hi-Res. I will be constructing a slideshow/movie when done recording all the AVI's during the event. Please feel free to use and modify this script to fit your camera and times per your location if interested.

A HUGE thank you to Robin and to Peter also for guidance and code to help me construct this final script.

Please find the Script attached to this post. If any questions feel free to ask.

Dave Collings
Sparta, NC USA
www.blueridge-observatory.net
Attachments
2017 Solar Eclipse Camera Control Script.txt
(6.72 KiB) Downloaded 556 times
oopfan

Re: 2017 Solar Eclipse Camera Control Script

Post by oopfan »

Thanks Dave for your script from which to learn. I wish you clear skies for the eclipse. I am in the NYC metro area and we have been locked into a terrible weather pattern for months.

I just started out scripting, and I also have a couple total eclipses under my belt. I know that they can be very stressful, hoping that I've dotted all my i's and crossed my t's.

Here are a few stupid questions from a scripting neophyte:
1. What kind of visual feedback are you getting that your script is running as planned?
2. What if you catch an exception in your script that you want to report immediately -- can your script pop up a dialog?
3. Do you recommend running a script in the Script Console so that you can follow execution progress with carefully placed 'print' statements. Or is OK just to "run script" and rely on feedback that regular SC windows give you that everything is running OK or not?

Thanks very much,
Brian