Plate Solving not showing up in 3.0

Using SharpCap's Polar Alignment feature
Frank14

Plate Solving not showing up in 3.0

Post by Frank14 »

Hi all! I am trying to install Sharpcap 3.0 on a Windows vista 32 laptop. It installs fine. I have the Pro version. It is connected to the mount. I am able to slew the telescope with the slew controls in Sharpcap. Only one problem: The plate solving functions are nowhere to be found, even though this was the first version of Sharpcap to have plate solving. No plate solving tab in settings, nothing. Any suggestions would be most appreciated!!! Thanks. Frank.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Plate Solving not showing up in 3.0

Post by admin »

Hi,

plate solving was much less advanced back in SharpCap 3.0 - there was no way to configure it in the settings and the only way to activate it was through the 'GPS' button in the mount control area. SharpCap will look for (and hopefully find) Astrotortilla or Ansvr if they are installed in the default locations (it might even find Astrotortilla in a non-standard location as it looks for an install location in the registry).

Obviously there have been lots of changes since 3.0 to bring plate solving up to what you see in SharpCap 4.0. Unfortunately since you are using Windows Vista, you are not going to be able to benefit from them :(

cheers,

Robin
Frank14

Re: Plate Solving not showing up in 3.0

Post by Frank14 »

Thank you so much, Robin! Your information is extremely helpful! I use Sharpcap 4.0 with my main telescope on a Windows 10 system and love it! I was just hoping to be able to use the old Vista laptop for my smaller on the road telescope. I'll give what you suggested a go, see if it works, and see if 3.0 is adequate for my needs. If not, I have a plan B. Again, thank you for your help! Frank.