Polemaster

Using SharpCap's Polar Alignment feature
woldsweather

Polemaster

Post by woldsweather »

After connect the next thing you are told to do is double click on Polaris. HOW do you find Polaris?

Yesterday I marked a line on the ground pointing North then placed the N leg of my EXM-35 mount on it and the other 2 legs equidistant either side of it (measured with a tape measure).

When you rotate the RA shouldn't Polaris stay pretty still compared to the other stars or at least rotate in a small circle?

Been trying to get the hang of this for 8 months.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Polemaster

Post by admin »

Hi,

it sounds like you are trying to use the QHY polemaster software, which we can't help you with (you would need to ask questions about that on the QHY forums). You can use SharpCap's polar alignment features with the polemaster camera, which many people think is an easier way to use the polemaster.

cheers,

Robin
woldsweather

Post by woldsweather »

O I didn't realise that. The beauty of PM to me is I can polar align nearly an hour earlier than with SC as I find even with total darkness in winter its a struggle to get SC to find stars or maybe I'm going wrong somewhere?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

SharpCap 4.0 has a new, more sensitive star detection system - see https://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/4.0/#Star%2 ... 20Settings . Basically you can now use the display stretch functionality to make stars show up in the image you see on screen and the polar alignment star detection will use the same stretch settings so should find the stars you can see.

cheers,

Robin
woldsweather

Post by woldsweather »

OK thanks for that Robin I'll give that a try.
woldsweather

Post by woldsweather »

Have installed SC 4.0. Have searched for an hour but can't find Display Stretch or Noise reduction.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

here's what you should be looking for

https://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/4.0/#!2!Min ... %20Stretch

and the noise reduction is in the polar alignment UI

https://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/4.0/#First%20Image%20Stage

hope that helps

Robin
woldsweather

Post by woldsweather »

Last night I couldn't get an image on the screen with SC 4.0 but when I switched back to my old one 3.2 I could see the image fine so don't know what the problem is there.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

if you have the problem again, grab a screenshot of SC4 and share it here - that will let me see what is going on and help.

cheers,

Robin