ASI120MM polar alignment issue

Using SharpCap's Polar Alignment feature
leewfc

ASI120MM polar alignment issue

Post by leewfc »

Hello this is my first time using this forum. I have recently purchased the pro version of sharp cap to use the polar alignment feature. I am using a ZWO60mm guide scope with the ASI120MM camera. When I use the camera in phd2 I'm picking up stars quite easily but when I use sharp cap I have just a black screen no stars. I've tried everything on exposure and gain but still no luck. I get the feeling its possibly a setting within sharp cap that I've not changed but any help would be massively appreciated as I'm getting frustrated now. 2 whole Nights I've tried with no results. Please anyone who can help TIA
admin
Site Admin

Re: ASI120MM polar alignment issue

Post by admin »

Hi,

first, run SharpCap and hold down the CTRL key while SharpCap is starting and also while opening the camera - this will stop SharpCap from loading the previously used settings for the camera, so if you changed anything that might have caused the problem it will be reset.

Then turn the exposure on the camera up to 4 seconds and the gain to maximum - that should be enough to see stars if you are in focus. If you are still struggling to see anything, press the 'lightning bolt' button in the 'display histogram stretch' control - this brightens the image on screen to bring out any faint detail (https://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/3.2/#!2!Min ... %20Stretch).

You can also find some good help with polar alignment here : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap/fea ... leshooting

If you are still stuck then please post a screenshot showing the whole SharpCap window (including seeing the control area - so we can see what control settings you are using).

thanks,

Robin
leewfc

Re: ASI120MM polar alignment issue

Post by leewfc »

Thanks for the reply Robin. I'll try this on my next clear night.