Getting to grips with SC

Using SharpCap's Polar Alignment feature
MikeHuerto

Re: Getting to grips with SC

Post by MikeHuerto »

Hi Robin,

Just curious - from Brian's reply above he recommends doing a blind plate solve (from the Tools Menu) before doing the plates solve and sync from the Scope menu on the right. I have just been plates solving and moving/syncing with the plates solve in the Scope menu. If I do a blind plate solve first, will it speed up subsequent plate solves from the scope menu?

"
In my case, I have a completely manual mount so I completely rely on plate solving built into SharpCap. All that is required is for your image to be in focus. Then from the Tools menu, click "Plate Solve". That will do something called a "Blind Plate Solve". SharpCap will take a single frame given your current exposure settings, and then start a process that compares the stars that it sees in the image with a large database of stars in the sky for all seasons of the year. Yes, it can take a while to run but you only need to do it once. Once complete then you can click a button on the right-hand panel that runs a much faster process which looks within a 20 degree radius of your last plate solve. (I think it is 20 degrees but it might be 30 degrees.) I have mine set up to send the coordinates to C2A planetarium software which visually shows me where the telescope is pointing. Of course, if you have a computerized mount then things become easier. The point I am making is that there isn't a need to look through your scope.
Best
Mike
Bortle 5
Skywatcher GOTO Synscan 14" Dobson
Skywatcher 130PDS on HEQ5
ZWOASI224MC and ASI294MCPro
Laptop = Lenovo Legion 5 FullHD 144Hz (Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, NVIDIA RTX2060-6GB, Windows 10
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Mike,

I wouldn't expect there to be any significant improvement in the speed of the second plate solving operation just because you have already run the 'blind solve'. Maybe a small effect because Windows will have already loaded the plate solving application/data from disk, but otherwise minimal.

The solve and sync operation is usually fast anyway, as it only searches a limited area of the sky.

Robin
oopfan

Post by oopfan »

Hi Mike,

I recommended Blind Plate Solve due to woldsweather's silence. We really have no idea of their experience level, therefore I leave it up to you to finish the task. I've lost patience and interest. I've had zero problems with PA after three years and a couple scopes and cameras. I can only assume that the problem is related to focus, FOV, or user error. But we can't make progress without more feedback.

Brian