New Person Question: Successful Polar Alignment- Next Step?

Using SharpCap's Polar Alignment feature
Brian1973

New Person Question: Successful Polar Alignment- Next Step?

Post by Brian1973 »

Hello All-

After several nights of unsuccessful attempts at using SharpCap Pro for polar aligning my mount, I was finally successful in learning how to complete this fundamental skill.

However, I do have a question: After successfully polar aligning my mount- Do I rotate the RA Axis back 90 degrees before moving forward with Going-To a selected object?

The reason I ask this question is, after polar aligning my mount, I selected the Andromeda Galaxy as my first object. When I clicked the GoTo button, my mount slewed and pointed my scope below the horizon and at the ground. I had left my scope in the 90 degree position as instructed in the second step of the process used by SharpCap for polar aligning.

I tried researching my question to find the answer, however, all instructions about using SharpCap for polar aligning a mount ends with tips or etc. Even Youtube video tutorials (at least the ones I found) never indicated if the RA axis remains at the 90 degree angle or rotated back to the starting position of polar alignment.

Best,

Brian
chongo228

Re: New Person Question: Successful Polar Alignment- Next Step?

Post by chongo228 »

You rotate it back to the starting position.

All software that I know of assumes that you are starting from the "home position". It's good practice to "Park to home" at the end of every night. This will send your mount back to the starting point so the next night it knows where it left off.
BlackWikkett

Re: New Person Question: Successful Polar Alignment- Next Step?

Post by BlackWikkett »

Hi Brian1973,

If you unlocked the clutches of the RA axis while you where polar aligning to complete the 90 degree rotation. You'll now need to set your mount back to zero position. For most mounts this is RA centered with counter weight down scope up. The reason your go to was so far off was the mount assumed it was still at home position when you sent the slew command.

Hope this helps, Chris