Sparkocam

Using SharpCap's Polar Alignment feature
Luke Spacehopper

Sparkocam

Post by Luke Spacehopper »

Hi,

Has anyone used Sparkocam with their DSLR for Sharpcap Polar Alignment?

I tried using the open-source ASCOM driver for my Canon EOS1000D but it didn't work. However, Sparkocam seems to work very well with Sharpcap so far, as in it provides a video feed and I can record it. However, the trial version has a huge watermark on it which I'm sure will confuse Sharpcap's polar align solving. So, before I shell out money for the non-watermarked Sparkocam, can I ask whether anyone has had success using it for polar alignment?

I've had a look through the forum and apart from the 'Sharpcap + Sparkocam + Nikon D5300?' thread I can't seem to find a definitive answer, so apologies if this has already been asked.

Thanks.
cuivenion

Re: Sparkocam

Post by cuivenion »

I've not used it but a possible problem could be not having a wide enough FOV if you are streaming video. The video resolution on a 1000d is only 768x512.If you're using a short focal length scope like a finder scope you may get away with it, but with you'll likely be out of luck with scopes at 400mm and higher.

The other problem is if you can pick up enough stars, as I imagine the exposure length is quite limited on a video stream.

What is your imaging/guiding setup at the moment?
Luke Spacehopper

Post by Luke Spacehopper »

Thanks for responding!

I'm using a Skywatcher 130PDS, going into a modded EOS1000D with a 0.9 coma corrector.

I think you might be right about fov and sensitivity. I was just wondering if anyone could say a definite 'yes' or 'no' to this idea.
cuivenion

Post by cuivenion »

You may be better off trying to use the folder monitor option in Sharpcap if you have software that can take images via the 1000d. Maybe Canon Utility? Make sure that your rotate images on the DSLR is switched off and you have RAW+JPG enabled too. Had a look at Sparkocam, it's pretty good.
cuivenion

Post by cuivenion »

Your FOV with your set up in video mode is 0.56 x 0.37 degrees, I think with along with the reduced exposure time (Sparkocam won't go below 1/4 second exposure with my 600D) that you're going to struggle.

If Sparkocam had let you use longer exposures it could have worked. The longer exposures are in the dropdown but nothing happens when you click on them.