PA with QHY8 L

Using SharpCap's Polar Alignment feature
GALASSIA60

PA with QHY8 L

Post by GALASSIA60 »

Hello. I'm starting to build a fixed location for my telescope, and among the first things I do I wanted to build a fixed concrete column (pier) for my eq 6 Pro. I have to install a Newton Skywatcher 254/1200 BD. A first thing to do then was to make a perfect PA with SharpCap. To have the right field framed with this focal the only sensor I could use is my QHY8 L (1.0 ° x 0.7 °). With the other sensors available I believe that I would not be able to get the sufficient FOV to do the right procedure (Asi 178 MC cooled, Asi 120 MC, Orion Starshoot autoguider). Can the PA procedure with SharpCap and the QHY8 L work?
Thanks in advance and Clear Skies.
admin
Site Admin

Re: PA with QHY8 L

Post by admin »

Hi,

I think this would be a struggle to get it to work, if it can be made to work at all. The problem is the longer readout time of the older QHY 8L camera would mean that it would be very slow to update. It might be usable if you try setting the binning level to perhaps 4x4 to improve the readout time. I might be wrong however and since you have all the hardware required there is nothing to be lost testing it out (remember that you can measure your polar alignment error without needing SharpCap pro licence – you just need the licence for the adjustment. If the measurement works fine then the adjustment stage is also likely to work well).

Cheers Robin